Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lock the Door & Throw Away the Key

I never thought my blog would be thrown into the world of heated religious debate. Today, I am going there, because I am thrilled Warren Jeffs was found guilty in Utah. If you don't know, Jeffs is the "Self-Proclaimed" prophet of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints or FDLS. He was on trial for accomplice to rape. In a nut shell, he arranged marriages within his community, and a 14 year old girl that was married at Jeffs' hand was raped by her new husband.

If I served on the jury in this trial, I would absolutely push for life in prison. I believe the misuse of power, under the veil of religion is one of the greatest injustices of our time. Trust me, I fully understand it's not exclusive to the FDLS, it's happening all over the world. I can only hope a breath of freedom will reach Colorado City and those who are being imprisoned by their family's religious beliefs can run free. In my heart, I know it's not going to happen. Another self proclaimed, ego manaical, MAN will fill his shoes.

My spark of interest on the subject of FDLS was Under The Banner Of Heaven , a book I read a few years back. I read the book as a part of MOMs Club, book club. Turns out the book is pretty graphic and a bit intense for your typical mommy read. We have since vowed to keep it a bit lighter. Even with the intensity in subject matter, I have recommended the book time and time again. I constantly wonder, how in the world is this happening, now in 2007 in the United States of America??

It's time, to set an example, to send a message to those who wish to oppress others for their own benefit. It's time to lock the door and throw away the key on Warren Jeffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!