Saturday, September 29, 2007

Under the Sea Cake!

Well, the big cupcake cake adventure from August started the idea wheel turning. How could I possibly celebrate Sj's 4th birthday with a flat sheet cake? Just like many other girls her age, Sj is incredibly consumed by all things princess. Currently, all things Ariel. I find solace in the Mermaid thing, because I can steer away from the Disney Ariel and more into the fantasy world of mermaids! Coming up with a theme for her birthday, we went with "under the sea". Themes, not so much our thing, but I went with it. Back to the cake.

This is what I started with. A total blank slate. Only an idea in my mind. I have to admit, I was inspired by the cake in Knocked Up, for the older daughter's princess birthday, towards the end of the movie. I know --you don't remember the cake, I guess you have to be a mom with an important birthday looming. I see inspiration in everything these days!




So basically, I thought large rectangle on the bottom blue/green sea feeling with a pink castle on top. Construction 101. Yikes. I know I watch too many episodes of Ace of Cakes (if I could have flown Duff out, I would've in a heartbeat)!!

The Final Result:



So here are the cake details:

1 box of chocolate cake mix
1 box of strawberry cake mix
1 box of vanilla cake mix
9 eggs, 1 cup of canola oil, almost 4 cups of water

I made 1 rectangle, 3 round layer pans, and one loaf pan..Had no idea what shapes I would need.

Frosting: 1 pound of butter, 2 pounds of confectioner's sugar, vanilla, meringue powder, and milk.

I am happy to report that I did not use all of the cake & frosting for the final work of art! It took about 4 hours to complete, after the cakes were baked. Was I delirious at one point, around 1145 pm? ooh yes..I think the sugar was seeping into my pores, and I was inhaling it making the frosting in the Kitchen Aid. HAHA!! Would I do it again?? Yes in a heartbeat!
If you need advice, just ask!!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That is some impressive cake! BRAVO! Speaking of cake, we did venture to Cakelove in Arlington, since it opened last week. And it is VERY DELICIOUS. I especially love the buttercream frostings since they are not too sweet. My favorite cupcake we tried was the Amaretto crunch. Vanilla buttercream frosting with a hint of amaretto, toasted almonds and chocolate cupcake. Yummy!~ Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a cake! No pressure for the rest of us on our cake making ventures!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!