Friday, October 19, 2007

If You Can't Buy Em, Make Em!

My decorative couch pillows are driving me bezerk and I am not quite sure what to make of it. I've had my couch pillows for a few years now. They are a drab yellow on one side with a earthy toned leaf print on the other. The lovely poly-blend fabric is just rubbing me the wrong way. I just can't commit to new ones. I've searched catalogs, websites, and stores to no avail. Nothing seems to speak to me. I've even wandered into the fabric sections of craft stores, but everything was a little too country for my taste.

I've come up with a solution to temporarily relieve myself of my hideous pillow predicament. I could re-use some fabric I had laying around to temporarily cover the pillows, until something more chic and design worthy enters my world. So, that's what I've done. I unearthed my small bin of fabric scraps and made-do. I covered one pillow with a fabric that was left over from curtains I made for our bedroom, in an apartment we had in Boulder in 1998. Yikes. Still, may I reinforce it is better than the poly-blend yellow option. I made a second pillow with a piece of fabric that J bought me in Japan. He thought they were cloth napkins, but the fabric was about 20x60, not your typical size napkin. The last pillow I made was a little felt bird. AAh, after sewing 8 straight sides, the mind leads you to believe you can conquer any sewing project at hand. A bird, it was. One side is green and the other is blue. I think it looks cute.

I'm patting myself on the back for not just running out and buying any ol' thing, that I wouldn't have been content with in a month. The hodge-podge covers i've made will inspire me to find something authentic and complimentary to our living room. The crooked seams and threads hanging out here and there, just compliment the hand made look. Too funny.

And what's even better, the pillows seem to be a big hit, GL just came down in the bjornie, clutching the bird pillow to her chest, smiling, chatting, and adoring my newest creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!