Monday, November 5, 2007

Chronobiology- An Extra Hour?

What the heck am I talking about? Biological clocks..yes, everyone thinks tick, tick, a woman who is desperate to get pregnant. I on the other hand, am referring to our bodies natural rhythms. Which draws me to ONE hour. We embraced the time change on Sunday, with a "Woohoo" an extra hour, to sleep. Although, it never really works out that way. I am not sure how you handle the time change in your household, but we stand strong with the change the clocks in the morning method. I don't know why, it just works better for us.

Finally by dinner time I was fed up with my "extra hour". The day had constantly been overshadowed by, let's have lunch now, at 1045 am, for it's really 1145. We had to put GL down for her 130 nap at 1230, for that's what time her body thought it was. By 6pm, I was ready for the girls to go to bed, because, yep 7pm is the time we start our bedtime ritual. See what I mean? Annoying! It's just one big vicious cycle that snowballs into a nightmare with children. Well, that is until their Ultradian Rhythms, the shorter cycles throughout a 24 hour period, re-adjust. I am amazed at a child's ability to cue into time, just through natural rhythms.

Putting aside the havoc wreaked on our girls with one little hour, I really did feel better in the morning. I am now waking up in the 6 o'clock hour, rather than the 7:45 we were pushing literally days ago. It was so hard to get up in the morning when it was dark and cozy, throwing our natural rhythms out the window! This morning I made muffins and was out of the house in the 9 o'clock hour. Shazam! Although I am longing for week's end, so we can be back into the swing of things, back in harmony with our biological clocks.

1 comment:

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!