Sunday, December 2, 2007

16 years later..

Making the most of this special day, my lovely GL, decided to help me start celebrating at the wee hours of the morning. The poor babe has a snotty nose, more like a spigot, draining thick sludge. It's affecting her desire to eat solid foods which in turn kicks in her night nursing cravings. I can't turn her down, for my string bean needs as many calories as I can pack into her. Which basically means, I have been up all night, sometimes every hour for the last few nights, nursing my dear back to health.

This morning, I was given the opportunity to stay in bed until 8 am. Shortly after 8, a frittata, toast, a clementine, and a chai all on a tray, was presented to me in bed. It was even topped off with a kiss. I thought that was strange considering I haven't been the most fun to be around the past few days. I've been a bit more zombie like. I enjoyed my breakfast while watching Nigella Lawson prepared some 5,000 calorie Christmas Feast.

As the morning progressed, I was sitting on the floor knitting, helping GL eat some toast, SJ was painting, and the hubby was reading the newspaper. J casually said to me, "Happy Anniversary."

...... silence......

My eyes glanced at the newspaper, December 2nd, sure enough our anniversary. That's why I received the kiss, I thought. I then returned the gesture with a, "Happy Anniversary-Darling!"

It's not our wedding anniversary, it's our original anniversary. Our 16 years later anniversary. Which means we've spent basically half of our lives together. Umm, yes from the sounds of it, I have no Hallmark card to celebrate the day, no rushed out and bought a gift to recognize the momentous occasion. I think a better gift is to turn my frown upside down and have a nice remaining half of the weekend.

Just a few moments ago, I asked the hubby, that was doing a load of laundry, "So, where are my gifts?" He replied, " Where are mine?" I told him his was the Nano, because originally he wanted to buy me one, but instead we decided that he was the one who really wanted it. A couple of weeks later, watching him play poker on it every night for long periods of time, I realized he really-really wanted the Nano.

I am not even going to end with a moan, what's another trinket right? Although, this place could use some floral cheer. I've really been given the best gifts of all, sixteen years with a man that has put up with me through it all and two beautiful daughters, topped off by a life I love in Colorado. Now that's love, Hallmark doesn't have a thing on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!