Sunday, December 23, 2007

I Don't Sneak A Peak

I'm not really sure what has happened to me. I suppose you could say I was infamous for trying to figure out gifts, acting like a 4 year old, wanting to open gifts, the night before my birthday or Christmas. Maybe I'd peak at our bank statements or give a box a rattle. I would assess a present by size and weight and try to see how close I could come to guessing it's contents.

But, it's not so much like that for me anymore. I've grown to have gift patience. Gosh, it really is no fun having tidbits of information about a gift before it's even opened. Now, I relish the moment, and linger in the surprise.

I will even go so far as to say,I enjoy buying gifts more than receiving gifts. I love when I happen upon something unexpected that I know is going to bring a smile. Well, then sometimes I second guess if my perception of the wonderful gift will be as happily received. But, it was well intended, a notion that I think is lost in the majority of today's gift giving. It seems like today everyone is so stressed about shopping, something they have to do, not want to do. Is it really that hard to take a moment and think about what the person you are buying for would adore? I don't think it is, but I do know a few tough cookies.

Now, there's the whole gift card trend. I know they are very practical. Yes, gift cards allow the recipient to purchase whatever they desire, but it takes a bit of the magic out of gift giving. Everytime I put on a piece of jewelry or heck, even pick up my diaper bag that J purchased me, I can be taken back to the special occasion, that is if my memory is serving me well. I hardly give a second thought to items I purchase with gift cards or cash that was given me. It's strange really.

It feels special when someone takes the time, to look around, to hone in on an item they think I will cherish. On the other end of the spectrum, a pile of random gifts, that seem thoughtless, bugs me to no end. I've received things and thought to myself, does this person know me?

Aren't you glad you don't have to buy me anything for Christmas.

So, no more sneaking any peaks for me. I just hope, there are a few cute things under the tree for me, that I know were purchased with meaningful intentions. No pressure, hubby. You always do a wonderful job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!