Thursday, January 24, 2008

Door to Door Bounty

We've been having Door To Door Organics deliver produce to our home now for about 8 months. It's always a mini celebration in our house the day the box arrives! We like to do the vege dance, we open the bounty, take a close look at everything and enjoy it's beauty. Best of all, I walk straight past the produce department when I enter the grocery store.

In the past we were not exclusive organic fruit and vege eaters. We preferred to buy organic, but quite honestly sometimes the price just drove me away from particular organic items. With D2D we eat about 95% organic produce now, we occasionally have a craving or recipe that needs an item we didn't get in our delivery. Most weeks, we make due with what we have and avoid running to the market for a lemon and walking out $50 bucks later. I hate that, it drives me bonkers.

Here's the deal with D2D, you pick what size box you want, from itty bitty to large. If you want fruit, veges, or mixed. Then you decide how often, once a month, weekly, or bi-weekly. We purchase a medium box every other week. I do find on the off weeks, we have to supplement, but I keep it to a minimum.

In the summer, D2D is brimming with local variety. Our box felt like it came fresh off the farm. The quality is fabulous and if there are ever any problems, they take care of it with a phone call or email. No trekking back to the store. Love it!

Unfortunately it really put a damper on our visits to the Farmer's Market. In my opinion, the past couple of years i've had a hard time with the over crowdedness of the market. There's been a big uproar about moving the market to a different space and I think I am the only person in favor of it! It has definitely outgrown that block between Canyon and Arapahoe. I remember the good ol' days, wandering the market, being offered up all you can take deals for $5 bucks at the end of the day. Now you basically need a small loan to shop there. There is a chance we may revisit doing a CSA, if so, we'll stop the D2D for those months.

For those of you that are curious, I've taken some pictures of this weeks bounty!

Yesterday I whipped up a corn chowder to utilize the veges that arrived in the morning. Enjoy.

Easy Corn Chowder
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 potatoes peeled and diced
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium onion chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
1/2 red 1/2 green bell pepper seeded and diced
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon combination parsley, paprika
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups vege or chicken stock
4 cups milk, I used 2%
3 cups corn kernels

Heat in a Le Creuset (you must own one!) oil and butter. Chop vegetables and add to pot. Add the bay leaf and seasonings, please add in whatever seasonings your family prefers! Saute veges for 5 minutes. Add in flour, allowing flour to dissolve, stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and combine. Then add the milk, combine well. Bring soup to a bubble. Add corn and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste soup for flavor, add more spices if necessary.

Top with cheddar cheese.

** While I was enjoying this, I was really craving some green chiles in it, so add in whatever extras you like. Top with bacon, or add crab to the soup.


  1. I haven't heard of these guys! We're in a CSA ( and lovelovelove it. Can't wait til spring! : ) They're having an open house Saturday, I think I may take the boys. We're so lucky to have easy access to good organic foods.

  2. A lot of people have these delivered to work. I really need to get on the bandwagon.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!