Sunday, February 10, 2008

Quote To Live By....

"Be content with what you have,
and take joy in the way things are,
when you realize you have all you need,
the world belongs to you!"

I've had this quote printed up and framed in my bathroom for a couple of years now. I am not sure where I originally came across it, but when I first read it, it truly hit home for me. I believe it's a version of a quote by Lao Tzu, of course Americanized a bit. Like most of us, I find my mind wandering or directing me to do "things" to fill a void in my life or to make the idle time pass. Sometimes those idle times are spent shopping for unnecessary things or feeling like I need something different to distract me. Maybe I just need to retrain my brain to do "things" like wash the floors, eat a piece of fruit, or do some squats.

Reeling myself in, trying to be present is a challenge. I've been serious about cutting out unconscious spending and doing one heck of a job with it (pat myself on the back). On the days I just want to drive off and suppress what I am feeling in that moment, I take a close glance at that quote. I try to run it through my mind a few times.

If I still have to get out of the house, I find myself turning away from the retail experience and into the library instead. I try to use learning as a tool in my personal growth on topics such as finance or an ethnic cookbook to help satisfy my craving for something new. Any marketer reading this post, must be cringing right about now. As of a few months ago, weather permitting, I would just need some music and a run or a long walk to help work through things.

I am always amazed at what I am capable of when I stop in the moment and take a closer look. More times than not, I realize I truly do have all I need. And, does the empty feeling, hurt, or anger go away with a new pair of jeans or a must have wicker basket? Maybe in the moment, but then I'll just have to beat myself up with the buyers remorse.

If I can stick with the quote, I know it will be a better life...


  1. some helpful advice i should certainly try and live by right now.

  2. Yes, this is hard to do and takes LOTS of training the brain and patience. Deep breathing helps too :)

  3. You know, I really do forget to take a deep breath sometimes...

  4. totally off topic, but i love your 'bushs last day' countdown clock!!!
    you rock my world....hubbs

  5. yes, it's been a while since i've looked...hubbs

  6. Maybe you should start a meditation group for Moms! I'm in.



I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!