Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Good Crunch With One Hand

When I was a young girl, one of my no fail lunch requests was a bologna sandwich. Yep, how American. Although, our meat was not from the grocery store, nor was it Oscar Meyer, it was freshly sliced from our neighborhood Italian Deli.

When I became old enough to start making my own lunch, the process always seemed to unfold in the same way. It began with two slices of Freihofer Country White Bread, placed on the plate in a mirror image. I always tried to draw a smiley face or picture or my initials with the squeeze yellow mustard, which was applied to both slices of bread. The next step was always smoothing out the mustard on both slices of bread, uniformity was key. I love uniformity and maybe even to a fault. Then the cheese, first a slice to sample, then 2 slices for my sandwich, then the bologna. Voile.

Usually it never felt complete with my potato chips on the side. I would open up the sandwich, pile on some chips, put the top back on and give it a good crunch with my hand. Every bite turned into perfection. Every bite.

I chuckle when I see my girls eating their Smart Deli vege bologna sandwiches. We are not vegetarians, but I am a meat snob. Since I couldn't make it to Whole Foods, vege bologna had to do. Luckily my 4 & 1 year olds do not have discerning tastes when it comes to sliced lunch meats.

Someday, I'll pass along my tips and techniques for a perfect lunch time sandwich complete with some potato chips inside. Until then the crunching pleasure will live on in my memory.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I agree, uniformity is essential...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to put potato chips in my sandwiches too. So crunchy and good. I still do that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bologna sandwich eating fool when I was younger. I moved on to Boar's Head turkey sandwiches, but the memories of my bologna and mustard on white live on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a fateful day at 12 Belle Ave. when I was initiated into the depths of new territory such as trying cheese on my bologna sandwich. From that day on I asked my mother to put cheese on my sandwiches. Oh and mustard too, because I would not eat that either until having lunch at your house. Thanks for upping the ante. KS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chips on sandwiches, my favourite as a kid was the equivalent of cheetos on a cheese sandwich or a roll. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put chips in my tuna sandwiches! Still!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never done the chips in a sandwich...I might just try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have VERY specific techniques when it comes to sandwich making as well. I HATE when other people make me a sandwich. They never do it right.

    And my chips go on the side, not in. It would all disappear too quickly if it was combined!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something very wrong about bologna...but I have to admit that every now and then I too crave it with mustard and chips inside.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!