Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: 4th Edition

Hidden Perks & Downfalls I have associated with blogging...

1. It all starts with one page load. You read a blog, maybe post a comment. More than likely you'll be lured by a link to another post or blog. Before you know it you've clicked, clicked, clicked your way to twenty other blogs, that you wind up bookmarking.

2. If your friends or family read your blog with any regularity, they may begin to associate blog content for real conversation. Soon your phone stops ringing and you've been deserted by your closest confidants.

3. On a related note, blog postings may also confuse your friends or family that they've had a discussion with you on the particular topic. It's happened quite frequently to me. The, "no, I didn't tell you that, you must have read it on my blog"! Beware of lurkers, slipping in conversation!

4. It's easy to become lured by bigger and better blogs. Take for example Blogger, it has all the built in shortcuts to make your blog stand up to others, with out looking way too amateur. But eventually, you'll start to want components on your blog that you have seen here and there. Before you know it, your perfect Friday night will be a glass of wine, kids in bed, an html book, or a few hours lost on Picnik.

5. Addiction, yes you become addicted to comments, visits, other blogs. And a little thing called StatCounter.

6. Your therapist may be losing money. Soon enough you see your blog as a therapeutic release, you feel a new level of comfort with sharing your neurotic side to complete strangers.

7. You may be too honest. Sometimes the need for privacy and restraint are held back in a moment of delusional posting. Someday your significant other or offspring will cringe when they see a photo or read a story about them that should have been kept in the family vault.

8. You begin to slowly make new friends, and you know all their quirks. Before you know it, you've found your soul blogger on the other side of the country, you begin to wonder if you were separated at birth.

9. On the upside you don't have to send photos to friends or relatives out of state, or even pick up a phone to call them. Hey they read your blog, they know what's up.

10. You may have to hold back in an attempt to keep the peace. Sometimes I feel a little bitterness about having to censor material due to regular readers. If I could only have the courage to truly "say anything".

11. Success, defining blogging success on a personal level. How many readers or comments a day do you want? You don't acquire readership overnight. Do you envision making it? Like publishing a book or earning money blogging? Hey, I am happy with the Disney on Ice tickets I won on Mile High Mamas!

12. Not to mention the huge personal growth, before you know it, you've become familiar with the nuances of HTML and photo editing. New vocabulary rolls off your tongue such as, MEME, Thursday 13, category clouds, blogrolls, and google reader in daily conversation. Your friends begin to wonder if you have slipped away.

13. The best part, your friends realize that if you can do it, they can do it. Damn, I want my own blog... I've inspired 4 friends and counting..beware you lurkers, you could be next!

(What is a LURKER? Someone that reads your blog regularly, but never comments. You, hey you, STOP LURKING and leave a comment!!)


16 comments:

  1. I think you should feel free to express whatever your heart desires, life is too short to hold back right. Also, I am officially not a lurker thanks to your inspiration and blogging genious. I do not however know how to present my id. or tag, or name to your blog. KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever post...I hadn't thought about it...But you are soooo right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8. You begin to slowly make new friends, and you know all their quirks. Before you know it, you've found your soul blogger on the other side of the country, you begin to wonder if you were separated at birth.

    Soooooo true!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it, girl. ; ) I've met so many awesome other bloggers, you included. :) And #4 really is my idea of a great Friday night. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. where do you come up with this stuff?I NEVER do those things. pshaw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I admit to being a "Lurker" but you can blame Same but Different for that! Maybe one day I'll get round to setting up a blog myself.
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, I've thought some of those same things :) You've done a great job with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!

    I don't like lurkers! I comment on everyone's blog...I love comment love! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here because of #1. I saw you comment on Never a Dull Moment and I clicked on your username.

    I'm sure you already knew that though because you've probably checked statcounter 3 times today. ;)

    I think you hit the nail on the head with this post. I can relate to all of them except 4 and 6. I started with Wordpress and there I still am. Of course, I don't do any page editing. My dh is OC and he insists on doing all that. I just write. And #6...I didn't have a therapist. Just Zoloft. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and btw, dang it, I'm subscribing. Like I need another blog in my reader. Please don't post any links to other blogs. Or I'll follow them.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just waiting for the time I am mentioned on your blog!!! Hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on week 3 since "launching" my blog and this is the first comment I have posted on anyone's blog. I can totally relate to your post; since I started blogging I have become seriously addicted to the internet following link after link. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep. It's 2011 and my first post...well, you can read it!

    I don't have all this stuff yet...

    But I am enjoying writing!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Thanks for sharing. I just started my first blog at notesbyheather@blogspot.com and I've already noticed my StatCounter addiction :) After just leaving Colorado I love reading your blog as it makes me feel back at home.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!