Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Collective Consciousness

If someone offered you a pair of glasses that changed your view of the world when you put them on, would you wear them?

That's exactly how I am feeling about A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle. I feel like he is giving me new lenses to see the world through. Not like my old way of seeing the world was wrong, but I felt a little nudge within me to discover things a bit deeper in my life. Of course the book kept coming up in conversation and I thought, I may as well give it a read. Honestly, I had nothing to lose.

Turns out just in the first four chapters, I have started to discover what I have to gain. Reading this book, grounded me in the reality that life is a journey. My path is always changing and I can help steer it's course. I can learn to let go of notions and feelings that held their grip so tightly on me it affected my sleep, or my mood, or how I mother my girls, or how I love my husband, or how I nurture my friendships.

Right now, I am embracing the opportunity to examine the negativity in my life, chronic complaining, and how to let things go. Working on my perspective, my attitude and seeing where the change leads me. Keeping track of my distractions and are they really fulfilling the emptiness I am feeling or creating more wanting?!

I firmly believe opportunities for growth can happen in your life when the timing is just right, even if you didn't know it was the right time.

Last month, after picking up the book for a steal at Costco (and no bananas, may I add), I sat down and gave the book a quick glance. I decided I would see if I could gather a group of women to read the book with me. Oprah has fabulous resources with workbooks and Podcasts, so the work for the group was essentially done. I just needed to find a time, place, and those that were interested.

Much of the content of the book touches upon topics which can have such different meanings to the individuals gathered reading the book as a group. We all seem to open up in our way, learn things about ourselves as we are learning about one another. My hope it to have my hubby read the book. I know I will be re-reading the book, many times over. Book club will continue over the next month or so, as we are taking it slow.

Maybe you'll notice a new spring in my words, for Tolle's words are speaking to me loud and clearly.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I'm the only person I know who didn't love this book. I just couldn't get into it. I don't think I'm evolved enough for it yet. That whole body-pain thing, why some babies cry more, etc just went right over my head and I didn't buy into the theory.

    That said, I immensely enjoyed hearing him speak on the Oprah podcasts (although I only heard about 2 casts). Discussing it made it alot more digestible for me. I'm anxious to hear more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the aestheticians at work has that book on her desk. I see it every time I go in to her treatment room. I keep thinking about picking it up but haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear the book is helping you. Granted, you don't have to take everything so seriously; but I think it's a great guide to putting your life into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including me in this journey my dear. I am so glad to hear that it is so inspirational for you. As I sit hear watching my mind react to my children climbing on the furniture, and the one who just hit their head on the table, the one who slammed the fridge door, and is now having a tantrum asking for more sugar. Love, KS

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book sounds good--I'll look for it at Costco. I love Costco for books--I basically just collect them, figuring I'll get around to reading them later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have I cracked it since Sunday? Are you kidding? ;) I will, though. I'm ready for it. I *need* it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. after my mood yesterday I REALLY need to read some more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't gotten around to getting the book yet. However I am very curious as to what the big buzz is all about. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!