Sunday, May 18, 2008

Digging, Shoveling, Leveling, Laying, Aching...Result Crushed Stone and Pavestone Walkway!!!

I believe I am notorious for setting myself up with an easy Backyard Project. It sort of goes like this, we'll just whip this out in a day, here's my vision, we've got these supplies, we need these, no problem. Well for starters there are always problems, but the better saying would be there aren't many problems with out solutions. We solved the major problems and time will tell if our hard work was done properly.

So my vision was taking up some flagstone that was haphazardly thrown down to create a walkway. It had become covered with weeds, mulch, and various other oddities. Then I thought we could make a crushed stone walk way from our current patio to the gate at the north end of our home. We had enough tumbled pavestone left over from our patio project in 2004 to use for a border. See where I am headed, heck we only need some paver edging and the crushed rock for the walkway. That would be a thirty foot walkway about five feet wide. Easy, peasy!

There was digging for an entire day, to only fill it back up with various other gravelish materials. An unanticipated 1/2 ton of road base to compact down before we laid the brick and stone. And, I stole some sand from the girls' sandbox, I thought I should use the year old stuff and buy them fresh sand for their sandbox next weekend.

Funny enough, I saw this as a one day project. It's Sunday night and we are 90% done. We need more rock, but can't buy it now, which happily puts us at a standstill. I'll call my one day project a two day and change project.

Can you say elbows are aching??? Yes, very random aches and pains to accompany my hard labor.

Here are the photos:
Exhibit A, The pitiful walkway, the inspiration for "anything" different:

Exhibit A part 2: Danger Zone, I mean walkway for the girls. EEK!
Day One: Clear out all debris, dig trench where walkway will be. 5ft x 30ft long. We have this jetting out concrete that can not be changed, so we had to make do and let it flow into the walkway. We could have curved the walkway, but that would have involved cutting bricks and trust me, cutting bricks is not fun. So concrete meanders into walkway, I'm ok with it!


Day Two: Aaah, remember that huge hole we dug yesterday, well today we get to fill it! We used roadbase to fill the hole. Creates a compacted surface, with the notion of cutting down on shifting rock in the walkway when it's completed. 
Hand Tamping to compact the roadbase. In the foreground, cheap labor.

Ok, so we dug out all the fill, and we piled it up under our cottonwood tree. Now we have a ginormous mound of fill. Not sure what to do with it. Possibly Craigslist, only if hubby is around. Had one too many creepy Craigslist experiences.  Added sand for the Pavestone. Pavestone must rest comfortably upon sand, they go together like PB&J.


Finale: Wonky Walkway. We met a point of frustration and decided to go with it. We didn't want to spend hours adjusting and leveling the sand/roadbase for the bricks. So it's a bit wonky on the sides where the Pavestones are, but I am so OK with it. Added Rainbow Chips from our local rock supply company. We still need about 1/2 ton more. That will be tomorrow. 
I am content, now I need a nice shower to remove the layers of walkway grime, and a good night's sleep. 

17 comments:

  1. You are hard core. Wow. Just wow. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! How satisfied you must feel!KDV

    ReplyDelete
  3. So can i book your husband in for next weekend have a similar project needing done here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Job! You should all be proud of your accomplishment. I think doing all of that with your girls "helping" is even more of an accomplishment. Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgoeus. Absolutely beautiful. I appreciate your hard work. We just pulled off a similar feat a couple months back. However, ours was a drainage issue on the side of the house. Your walkway looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great and what fabulous exercise for all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! We plan on doing a walkway on the south side of our yard this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Very impressive. So you all are free next weekend to do our yard, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Looks like you have a little helper too! I think we are alike in thinking a project should be easy and then it's a ton more work. We are now 4 weekends into our landscaping.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty! And I like the meander of it, makes it interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks awesome! Congrats. Can't wait to see it in person.
    - K. Mac

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you kept saying "I'm ok with it."
    I think it looks great. Dh and I would never undertake such a thing. We both stink at home improvement things like this. We'd probably cut into some important line. Like the well line. Or the pool pump line. And I'm not ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe how much you got done. That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow. That is beautiful. Your hard work really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh duh! I guess I should have read this before commenting on your most recent post. I will definitely this as a resource when we redo our patio - Nice work! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're braver than I am; no WAY would I landscape myself. That said, we're painting the living room/dining room/stairs/upstairs hallway this weekend. This involves painting while on stairs, high ceilings, and duct taping the boys anywhere but where we're going to work. Pray for us. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!