Friday, May 9, 2008

...For The Very First Time

The other morning, I ventured out of the house a bit earlier than I typically do to meet some friends at a coffee shop. It was an early coffee to kick start a birthday. While my girlfriend was celebrating her coming into a new age, I was also celebrating a first.

It was a bit rainy and there were puddles scattered through out the parking lot and sidewalks, that particular morning. Now this may sound really funny to like 95% of you reading this, but I was in complete amazement that the bottom of my jeans were soaking wet. I was wearing flats and my new jeans were so LONG that they hit the ground and may I add, maybe even puddle a bit. In these jeans, I could actually wear a small heel and make my legs look even longer. Woah!

Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun! Do you hear the music playing behind me as my arms raise up to the sky and the heavens open?

I had to joke about it in that moment because mind you, never, ever in thirty some years have pants been too long for me. Yep, 5'11" in case you forgot the stats. And to top off this breakthrough moment these jeans are so damn comfortable. They have a secret weapon in jean technology, but don't tell anyone, it's just between you and me.

2% Lycra

The next time you slip into a pair of jeans, check the label. If you see 100% cotton, like most of my other jeans you are not living to your full jean potential. Unless those 100% cotton jeans are super comfy, don't cut into your waist or aren't too tight in the thighs. Hmmm... Lucky you.

98% Cotton, 2% Lycra has changed my life. My weight fluctuates more rapidly than gas prices these days. One day I am feeling good, the next I wonder where did all that skin come from?! On some mornings, I stare into my jean drawer and look dazed and confused, not sure what to do. On those same mornings, I usually open up the drawer directly above and pull out something with a drawstring waist. Sigh. But not with the 2% lycra, I know my comfy jeans will take me through the day.

Technology, what a beautiful thing.

15 comments:

  1. I'm tall, too. And Lycra saved my life. While I can still buy off the rack at most places, my weight increase since the pregnancies has put me in limbo with jeans. SO when you find the right pair: STICK WITH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vah vah voom! I thought I was tall at 5 feet 8 inches. But I probably have a skewed view since I have lived in Asia for 5 years where I am taller than 98% of even the men. Most people hit me in the shoulder region.
    I have a couple of good jeans I like. I think one pair is DNKY and the other is jcrew.
    I wanted to invite you to come enter my blog giveaway at http://winnermama.blogspot.com
    The fun is beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Brand Jeans have lycra and they are my FAVORITE, especially on my fat days. I haven't been able to wear my 100% ringspun cotton JCrew jeans for a little while lately--uhoh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i am 5'2" and all i have to say is MY JEANS ARE ALWAYS WET! They are always torn up at the hem too because they are always too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jennie on the jeans. With my shortness, they're always long. I FINALLY found jeans I like. The good ol' GAP has great jeans. I actually had a lady help me one day and splurged a bit more on a pair I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tip, now I want to go see if I have Lycra in my jeans or not. -TD

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Almighty MannyMay 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

    You asked for me and now you must deal with the smart-ass comments. Though when it comes to jeans I can't think of anything in particular. But fear not, such comments will come.
    However I do have a legit musing regarding men jeans. Can't do tight, this isn't the 80s anymore. As a result the jeans are always baggy, comfy, and getting wet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, are you going to SHARE the name of these wonder jeans with this fellow Amazon woman? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so get this. I am only 5'8" but my legs must be long because I have never found jeans long enough until recently. I remember in late high school, early college being so relieved when capri-type pants came into style...all my pants were that length naturally. I now have a pair of jeans that is so long I HAVE to wear heels. HEAVEN.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you have finally found a great pair, i had a great brand i liked and they started getting made in another country and now they don't fit (grrr). Ps. love the new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the picture!

    I'm with laughing at chaos; reveal the name of the wonder jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea i have a 34' to 36' inseams... depends on the jeans. that is why I use to wear silvers a lot. The store Buckle and NOrdstroms have a lot of long pants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a great pair of awesome fitting jeans. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. For those inquiring minds, the brand of jeans are Joe's Jeans, style Honey. I'm the model Here . Haha... They were purchased for a slamming deal at the Saks Outlet!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!