Wednesday, May 21, 2008

In The Beginning...

***Click on Photo to Enlarge***

Here is the monstrosity I call my backyard. Oh how naive my husband and I were when we snubbed our noses at small lots, in favor of this large yard with huge mature trees. Now, looking back on it, I would love one of those smaller yards, quaint yards as we so longingly refer to them. Yards with out Cottonwoods that drop 40 bags of leaves every fall.

We are taking it all in stride. Our first major project was ripping out the concrete that was buckled serving as a carnival attraction patio. We created the tumbled Pavestone patio and it's held up wonderfully. Not much else has transpired in the landscaping department, except the wonderful additions of the shed, swings, and sand box. Well, in my mind I have a million and one plans, but lack the funding. Maybe I'll win a backyard makeover, don't you think it desperately needs it?

The photo was taken last week, before we started the finished project. I took the photo with my new camera that I was surprised to receive on Mother's Day. My former camera worked just fine, but my hubby's was better. Every time he took it on a business trip, I missed it dearly. So I got an upgrade. It wasn't until this morning that I realized the camera came with panorama software. Ironically enough I shot a panorama last week and all I had to do was plug 6 photos into the software and the photo above was born.

Can't wait to shoot an "In the end" panorama come September. On the agenda this weekend, raised garden beds. More to come!


  1. Ah, yes. The big yard dilemma. We were excited when we moved into this house with it's nearly 2 acres. What fun for the kids to have room to run and play!
    Typically they run and play in approximately 1/2 of an acre.
    But yet we have to keep mowing the other 1 1/2 acres!
    I'm thinking "small yard and nearby park that someone else maintains" is better. :)

  2. Our house in Colorado (that I miss dearly) had a huge yard and 12 trees in the backyard...some of them were fruit trees.

    It was a lot of work but it was the prettiest place I have ever spent time.

    I just got a new camera that I'm still trying to figure out.

    What kind do you have?

  3. I miss big trees--we had mature trees and a big yard in our home in Wheaton. But, you're right, raking gets old after a while. That's great about the raised beds!

  4. Sounds like a lot of work, but it looks like a lot of fun!

  5. Trees? What are trees?

    My husband has banned them for that very reason. He doesn't want to have to pick up the leaves. I can't really blame him.

  6. Have fun working in your yard. I am excited to see the results. Thanks for letting me know about archiving from my old blog. I didn't know you could do that.

  7. Cool panoramic pic. Big yard. But it does look like fun... you know, if you're a kid and you don't have to clean up all those leaves. :)

  8. I love your yard! I really wish that I had those trees. I'm treeless, but still end up raking all of my neighbor's leaves!

  9. Hey - We have a buckled concrete patio now and want to put Pavestone over it. Did you do it on your own? Any hints/tips?

    We are doing some of the same stuff - adding raised garden beds and a pizza garden if you can imagine.

    Good luck w/your projects!

  10. Oh man...being a Big City Chick means I would have no idea what to do with it!

  11. I love big yards, it's a lot of work but so worth it. Keepup the good work - when are you going to get that composter!!


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!