Thursday, May 15, 2008

Parents Please Take Your Seats

Last week I attended my very first "parent of a kindergartener" meeting. It was the official orientation for us first timers and a sprinkling of well seasoned parents chiming in with their "been through this" knowledge!

Yes, I was completely dumbstruck by the fact that my first born is actually going to kindergarten. Wasn't it just yesterday she would cry for me when I dropped her off for her big-girl-45-minute-all-by-herself "twoodles" class? My mind continually raced to wrap itself around the notion that Sj is going to school. Not touchy feely sing and play pre-k.

Real School!

Sj is seriously going to "10 page orientation hand out" school. Kindergarten. Like go school shopping school. Buy school supplies from a long laundry list of specifics school. That would also remind me "please learn to wipe your own bottom after pooping by the time you start" school. My summer may be more intensive than I envisioned.

About mid-meeting, a friend points out to me a large piece of paper that has a perfectly hand written colorful list on the white board. I start to read it, "no side conversations", "respect everyone's ideas", and "no busy work or grading papers", with a few others to fill the page. The list begins to ring all too familiar to me and my former life. Hands down, I would bet it was the staff meeting rules. I would also bet it was created by the entire staff at the very first meeting, so everyone would feel ownership for the rules. That's how they get you in education, they reel you in hook, line, and sinker.

My friend and I both chuckled as for not too long ago, we were both teachers. It was a few years ago we were accustomed to giving the presentations to a room full of parents, not being the parents. Total and complete role reversal. Wow!

Aah life, I have to admit, it just grabs you by the seat of your pants sometimes. What an adventure!


***btw, for those of you wondering, Sj is going to kindergarten 2.1 miles from our home, in our hometown, which oddly enough is a neighboring school district. It's a wonderful neighborhood school! I am thrilled and feel silly that I was wrapped up in the whole open enrollment showdown in my school district. I called them, they said stop by, I dropped off a piece of paper and was in like that. So easy, so refreshing. My mind, stomach, and heart are at ease!***

13 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Kindergarten was this year (6 year old,) preschool starts in July for the 4 year old. They go to a year-round school. It is amazing how fast they begin to mature once they are in the classroom.

    And the whole "wipe your butt after pooping" thing?? I was just going through that this morning with my 4 year old. I'm thinking, "This kid better nail this one before she starts preschool or her teachers will think I've failed her as a parent."

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You've been tagged http://jillijavagardenofeden.blogspot.com/2008/05/thursday-thirteen.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, there is a down side to homeschooling. My ds didn't wipe his own butt until he was 8. Maybe 9. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. man oh man they grow so fast, I am happy that we have another year, but Sj is so ready she'll do wonderful. and aren't you starting school too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Good luck getting ready for the first big day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I can't even imagine my kiddo going to kindergarden. So glad you hear you found a great one for your little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. its so hard to believe. i am so glad you found a school you are happy with, one less worry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It goes by so fast. My oldest will be graduating from 6th grade next month and it seems like yesterday I was attending my first kindergarten meeting. My daughter (our youngest) will start kindergarten this fall.

    **sniff**

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you on allmediocre! Last year was my first kindergarten orientation and I too was a teacher in my former life. It all goes too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting! I'm glad you found a school you like. Ms. E will start up too. I cannot believe it! I'm very excited for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep thinking about the day my kid can go to pre school.... but I know when it comes I am totally going to hate it. I keep looking at her and noticing that she keeps growing! What is up with that!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. When A started kindergarten, everyone kept telling me I'd be sad. Uh, no. I was laughing out of drive line and if I hadn't been behind the wheel, I guarandamntee I would have had a margarita in my hand! I kept him alive til school! It was a cause for celebration! I might be a little more teary when J starts next year.
    About the butt wiping...neither of my kids are going to win a butt-wiping award. They do it...sorta... I just figure, it's their butt, and they're the ones who are going to have a sore butt if they don't do a good job (we have paper AND flushable wipes, there's no excuse for a lousy job), and hey, there's the diaper rash creme if it really hurts. I just stopped wiping one day and said "You're on your own." I don't miss it AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!