Monday, June 16, 2008

From Breakfast to Dessert

Trust me, I know how lucky I am when I say this, many mornings during the week, I receive breakfast in bed. My husband gets up with the girls, fixes breakfast, brings a tray along to me in bed. He has the opportunity to spend time with the girls before work and I am given some space before my day begins. Win, win for everyone, I would agree!

Of course yesterday, with it being Father's Day, I decided to cook up a lavish meal. I am not sure exactly how long this meal took to concoct, but it started on Saturday night with the creation of a splendid out of the ordinary simple fruit salad, compliments of The Gluten-Free Girl.

Sunday morning, I began making pancakes. I decided on banana pancakes, the girls expect their pancake fix every weekend. So pancakes were thrown into the Father's Day Breakfast in bed. Eggs benedict, with avocado, freshly made hollandaise (wow!), Diestel Ham, steamed baby spinach, on a whole wheat english muffin. Then came the breakfast potatoes, typically another one of my hubby's specialties. I took on the challenge.

This is what we presented my hubby in bed:

After spending, what seemed like the entire day in the kitchen, of course we had to have some delicious dessert to grace the end of a wonderful day. One of my husband's favorite desserts is a Fresh Open Face Strawberry Pie from Grandma's Restaurant, back in our hometown in New York.

So, I set out to do my best job to re-create it. I decided to add some blueberries, just for fun. It wasn't a Grandma's pie experience, but it was definitely second best.

(The filling is just stove top (not instant) Vanilla Pudding, the little bit of labor is definitely worth the pay off in taste. I prefer to use Dr. Oetker Organic Pudding and Pie Mix from Whole Foods or the like, link here)


  1. OMG that pie looks amazing. What is the creamy stuff between the fruit? You may have to post a recipe!

  2. That all looks absolutely delicious! And I agree with HRH...recipe for the pie, pretty please.

  3. Hell, if you weren't already taken, I'D marry you!

  4. There are so many things I'd like to say about you having breakfast in bed every day, but I'm going to leave it at this: Sigh.
    And that breakfast looks absolutely heavenly. Yum.

  5. mmm breakfast in bed. You both are lucky.

  6. holy crap!, I am moving in RIGHT NOW!!!!

  7. Ummm, if things don't work out with Mama Zen, I'm next in line!

  8. ok
    new here

    ADORE YOUR NAME and your mama-normalizations.


  9. What a GREAT Father's Day present! I'm impressed! :) Yes, I'm back from vacation and will post when I get a chance about our fun experience.

  10. Mmmm...everything looks so yummy! That is a perfect July 4th pie too! Thanks for the good links too!


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!