Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mind vs. Body

As I was jogging around the Championship Field this morning for boot camp, my blogger brain was on overdrive. I was embracing the distraction from how my body felt at 6:15 this morning. Then my thoughts turned to mental defeat. I started to contemplate how easy it is for my mind to control my motivation or typical lack of motivation.

When I signed on for Boot Camp, just like Grad School, I didn't give it too much thought. I knew in my heart I wanted to do it, I kept thinking about it, so I just signed up. Honestly if you give most people the ample opportunity to mull over working out at 6:15 in the morning, eventually their mind is going to win. Especially when, in my case, I have never really worked out regularly.

I have to admit, I just kind of laughed to myself as I rounded the field for what looked like some lovely lunges across the field. After completing my third boot camp class, I know I am physically getting a work out, but more importantly I am mentally enabling myself to take on the new role that comes with working out. With that is also letting go of the labels and the perceptions I have convinced myself to become.

There once was a time when I would tell people, I can't run. There's no way, I can run. Can't do it, not a runner. Then I just eased into it. I found my body's natural running rhythm and worked through not being the fastest woman on the block. But ultimately I could run and I wouldn't let my mind tell my body I couldn't.

The same rings true for working out at 6:15 in the morning. Most mornings I lounge around, half asleep in bed while my husband gets up with the girls. You know, I am one of those, not a morning person type. See where I am going with this?

Obviously it's premature to envision getting up all the time at 5:30 to work out, but you know what, it feels damn good. I like being up, getting in a little sweat accompanied by my famous red cheeks, coming home to my family refreshed and revived, ready to start the day.

I know these feelings are going to be permeating into other facets of my life. How often am I shutting the door on opportunities for personal growth just because I have become comfortable with my mind telling me I can't or I am not capable? Plenty, I am sure of it. So watch out mind, I am not giving in so easy from now on.

17 comments:

  1. good for you! i am just busy making sure no one steals the couch from under me right now. my thighs are jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I really need to follow your example. I always make the excuse of... oh I am tooo busy... I don't have time... I will do it later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! The Nike poster girl for Just Do It :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. I am not always thrilled when 5:15 rolls around and I get out of bed, but driving back home BEFORE 7 having accomplished something amazing feels greeeeeeat. *picture Tony the Tiger thing*

    Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great. I used to run cross country, and the mental part of pushing myself was so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! I definitely need to follow your example. Just need a bit of toning and maybe lose that freshman 15 I put on AFTER I graduated. (how annoying!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really...well done! I know what you mean, I am right there with you getting up at 5:15. Lord that is early! Cheers to both of us:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. I often let my mind talk me out of things, but when I get it to just shut up, I find I can accomplish, oh, a half-marathon. Or a walk around Central Park with my puppy at 5h30am. Or doing that extra set of crunches... And when that happens, I end up feeling so good. I need to get my mind to shut up more often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am totally impressed! I hope to get back to running soon, but at 5:30 in the morning? Like I said, I am WAAAAY impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. keep up the good work, it's so easy to say no and so hard to say yes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mind sends me the same kind of thoughts...Mine have to do with chocolate fudge brownies at 10:00 p.m. Go girl, be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean! I was doing boot camp before I got pregnant again. I was trying to get in shape from the last pregnancy! LOL - Ours started at 5:30am. No matter what if it's before day light it just seems wrong. LOL - Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so proud of you! This is all so great to hear about. Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a love/hate relationship with exercising early in the morning, too (before work, so 6 am after DH heads out). But, like you, I feel so great when it's done and I know I am good for the day! I am not running, but walking or doing a "walking" video (walking in place, kicks, sidesteps, etc.). Running is way cool!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!