Monday, June 2, 2008

Mommy Is Going To Camp

As of recently, I have become way too familiar with the Summer Recreation Catalogs put out by my town and surrounding cities. I've been thumbing through them to find enriching activities for Sj this summer, now that pre-k is out. With the cost of everything on the rise, I had to be selective in my choices, but wanted something just right. Not too far, not too expensive, a couple days a week with her off to kindergarten this fall, I didn't want her to be too consumed with activities this summer.

Oh, the choices, the mulling over.

I found a perfect camp, just two days a week. One day the kids have music and fine art, the next it's dance and drama. Then, we'll also be subjected to our first initiation into team sports. We've succumb to T-Ball, I believe it's 6 weeks, Saturday mornings, co-ed, hilarity at it's finest. I am already charging the batteries in our video camera because I know the footage will be priceless, or at best maybe we'll get a $10,000 America's Funniest Home Videos shot. Hey, it could happen.

As I was looking compulsively through my pile of course offerings yet again, I thought, it might just be my time. Time for me to take a class, sign myself up for something, or more like anything. Honestly the pottery class would have been my first choice, but I don't think the instructor would enjoy my girls joining me on a Thursday morning for two hours. I skimmed back through the catalog and was continually drawn to a Boot Camp style class. I'd read the description and looked at the time it was offered. They all seemed like they could work, all I would need to do is ACTUALLY register.

Hmm.... Is this what I really wanted to do with my time, my potential hour and a half to myself?

I took the plunge. It's two days a week, for an hour. I have never taken a regular fitness class with the exception of yoga. And I have never taken a fitness class at the crack of dawn. The evening one was full. Yes, I waited too long.

Tomorrow is the big day. The class even comes with a complimentary body fat testing before and after the session. I don't even know what I weigh right now, so this should be real eye opening.

All I really can say is that I am truly going out on a limb here. Pushing myself out of my comfort zone, with a group of complete strangers no less. Wondering what my limits are and what the pay off can be with some regular hardcore body punishing work outs. Where in the world is my head? Well, I guess I'd rather not think about it.

Definitely to be continued....

18 comments:

  1. That's great! I think morning is good--get it over with, and then you won't be tempted to skip after a long day with the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- good for you! I need to push myself out of my comfort zone more.
    Let us know how the class goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!!

    My puppeh and I walk through a boot camp a few mornings a week in the park, and from what I can see, all those women are loving it - and looking extremely buff! So here's to hoping your class will be just as fun and just what you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I need something like that. Anxious to hear how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i may have to find that boot camp class and join ya...let me know the details...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo!!! That sounds amazing! I would love to do that. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go mommy investing in yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl!! KDV

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the irony...this post comes right after the pie post! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I am starting a speed training (running) class starting Wed. I'm nervous...I look forward to hearing how yours goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you we look forward to a progress report. Hope the muscles aren't oo sore tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you! That's awesome and now you definitely have an excuse to eat all that yummy pie and ice cream. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. That class sounds awesome! Enjoy the time to yourself. I would love to workout sans child.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you. I think you will have a good time after the hate-yourself-for-signing-up period is over.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yow. Good for you! And take ibuprofin before you go to bed that night. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go!! You'll definitely have to keep us updated. I could totally use something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. GOOD FOR YOU!! Exercise is definitely the key to relieving stress, feeling young and good sex (LOL!)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!