Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ten Year Delight

Immediate reactions to talk of a tenth wedding anniversary usually turns to what big plans my husband and I had. Alone. Just a celebration between the two of us. Honestly, some time alone is always much savored and enjoyed, but for us our anniversary wouldn't have been much of a celebration with out our girls. That's just how we are.

J left work shortly after lunch time, we loaded the girls into the car before dinner. We packed a wonderful salad, snacks, and picked up a pizza on our way up the canyon. J purchased an adorable mini cake as a surprise, which very much resembled a wedding cake from Whole Foods.

The best part about returning to a special place that is protected Open Space (reserve), is that we didn't find much change. The landscape still looks the same, with the exception of some taller native grasses. Our girls ran through the meadow where we sealed the deal. I regret not coming to this spot more often (it had been a few years), it's so wonderful.

On a whim, we decided to also spread our beloved Guinness' ashes on our outing. He loved frolicking in the mountains and it was where he was truly at peace. It seemed most appropriate to finally let him go there. I thought back to our wedding day, where Guinness was drinking beer out of the cups people placed behind them on the ground during our ceremony. I still miss my boy dearly three years later.

Here are some wonderful photos from our ten year celebration:

Driving in Boulder Canyon, scenic delight.

The girls in the meadow. Sadly some of the Pine Trees are succumbing to Mountain Pine Beetle infestation, which is represented by the yellowing lower tree limbs. 

The adorable and delicious mini cake, very sweet. I will not turn talk to our actual wedding cake (it was a disaster). 
The big surprise, my gift. A little blue box hadn't graced my lap in a number of years. It truly was a special occasion. It contained a necklace, a beautiful sparkly flower necklace. 

Even though I had a wonderful day, my husband had another surprise up his sleeve. I couldn't believe it. We had dinner on Saturday night, just the two of us, at Frasca in Boulder. A review will follow. A wonderful friend came by to spoil and play with our girls while we dined, I am happy to report ALONE. It truly was the icing on the cake for me. A tenth year celebration to remember, indeed.


  1. That sounds absolutely wonderful! Congrats again on the 10 years, and I'm glad you enjoyed a truly fabulous celebration :)

  2. What a wonderful way to celebrate! Happy Anniversary! :)

  3. Happy Anniversary! What a great way to celebrate! We returend to the scene of our crime this year as well. It's always so nice to go back.


  4. What an absolutely perfect anniversary!

  5. Congratulations! It looked like a fabulous day. And, those little blue boxes are always fun to get.

  6. Ooooh, you gotta' love those little blue boxes!

    Happy Anniversary!

  7. I am glad you both had a wonderful day and a night out ALONE too. You gotta love the blue box!

  8. That picture of the girls is absolutely precious! And that cake looks delicious! Sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary! :)

  9. Congrats! Lovely family outing and neat that you got your couple time, too. My husband and I celebrate our 26th anniversary today! In some ways, it seems longer (LOL), but really most of the time, it seems like just yesterday we got married. We had a fun dinner of steamed crabs out last night and will go camping on our mtn/river property tomorrow. :-)


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!