Sunday, June 1, 2008

There's a Half Empty Pie Tin...It Must Be Summer


Technically speaking, the first day of summer is nineteen days away. Although, I know my summer has begun when I see a half empty pie tin sitting on my kitchen counter, accompanied by a bone dry pint of ice cream. The scene reeks of my summer dinner club. Well, it's not officially a club, but it feels like a club.

I suppose you could say it all began last summer. We'd invite our friends over for dinner, they would have us over the next weekend, then sometimes it would turn into a slumber party. The kids wouldn't have it any other way. Before dinner even started, I could hear the whispers, the girls chatting away about sleeping over, my house, your house, it doesn't matter, let's have a sleep over, I want a sleep over!!!

And always, in good summer time fashion, the dessert was definitely the centerpiece of the evening. Really there's no other way to have dinner and friends. The best part about the summer dinner club, is that for the most part, it is hotter than H*E*Double*Hockey*Sticks, so there is no pressure to bake something homemade. And to tell you the truth, ice cream cones, with must have sugar cones became my favorite dessert last summer. Once again, last weekend the tradition started, complete with brownies and vanilla ice cream. Maybe i'll have to stock the makings for banana splits. The possibilities are endless.

We went super easy, I made a couple of whole wheat pizzas with fresh basil from my garden. Woohoo! Soon, it will be fresh basil and tomatoes from my garden. The salad had blueberries, apples, and a lemon zest vinegarette that J whipped up. Delish. And for dessert, cherry pie and organic vanilla ice cream. And of course, the boys cracked open a Maharaja, boys will be boys.

I'm all smiles, knowing summer has arrived, complete with my dear friends and full bellies.


10 comments:

  1. Yum. I love cherry pie. And fresh basil. And salad with fruit. And pizza. And ice cream...

    Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...looks good. Except ours here would be rhubarb. Do you like rhubarb? Want some? Please? ;) We really need to do this with our friends and neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks awesome. I always associate basil from the garden with summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that cherry pie looks insanely delicious. And now that is all I will be able to think about all day. I'm going to have to buy one tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should do make your own sundaes next time, complete with various syrups, whipped cream, and a cherry! Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, SLEEP OVERS!! I hadn't even thought of that. My little girl is going to have sleep overs in a couple years. That's so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was lemon meringue here. gee I hope I spelled the correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun evening! That pie looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm catching up on blogs, and it must be some secret conspiracy to make me drool all over my keyboard this afternoon. Sounds like a wonderful tradition, how fun! (and now I'm REALLY hungry!)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!