Friday, July 25, 2008

"1980-Something" Arrived In A Box Today...

My best guesstimates would pinpoint 1986 as the year, the contents of my brown card board box take me back to. One brown box, one portal to 22 years ago. Holy, I just said, 22 years ago!?!

The radio was playing hot pop such as Whitney Houston's Greatest Love of All, Madonna's Live to Tell, Prince's Kiss, or Wang Chung's Everybody Have Fun Tonight. But quite interestingly enough, I was more enthralled with boys on skateboards, so my Yellow Sony Walkman contained a mixed tape blaring alternative sounds such as Violent Femmes' Blister In The Sun or The Dead Milkmen's Big Lizard In My Back Yard. More Hits from 1986 are simply a click away. Go ahead, take a peek, remember when.

What a true juxtaposition of chasing the alternative scene, all the while keeping up with the rich girls. Yeah you know the type, the preppies with perfect hair, alligators on their shirts, and fancy hood ornaments on daddy's car. I ran in my own circle, but I could keep up with them, shopping at the Limited for some leggings, a big belt, and an oversized striped shirt, the same day I bought a vintage dress at Salvation Army. I am sure after pizza Friday in my house, someone's mother dropped us off at Crossgates Mall to get our shop on. Of course to meet boys from other parts of town, to watch movies, to spend money. Suburban adolescence at it's finest.

All the while I was rockin' a pair of sneakers. Tretorns to be exact. My friend Brown delivered a brand spanking new pair of Tretorns to my doorstep today. I owned 2 pairs in the 80's, white canvas with blue gingham stripe and white on white in leather. I am still amazed at how the contents of a brown box can make me smile and take me back, to the memories from so long ago.


Just for fun, I had to throw this in, if you could see my feet, you would see that I was rockin' my leather Tretorns. Freshman Field Hockey, circa 1987. And yes, it turns out our coach liked the ladies. I don't quite get the collars tucked in, for that fashion faux paux my memory slips me. I do remember it was hip to wear men's boxers under our uniforms. I hope this makes at least one of you laugh, for I couldn't contain myself!

Special thank you to Zappos for making my day! Don't they rock!?!

21 comments:

  1. Despite the fact that I was graduating 22 freaking years ago instead of starting high school [like you], I did very much enjoy this nostalgic trip.

    I, too, was a keep-up-with-the-Normandy-Roses while listening to the Femmes & The Smiths & Depeche Mode. Makes us the more well-rounded individuals, I say.

    I laughed. And cringed. But mostly laughed :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have precious memory boxes. And what a treasure they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a Tretorn fan as well. And I went to private girls school where everyone wore boxers under their (ridiculously) short skirts. I am having so many flashbacks right now. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh 22 years ago. I remember it like it was..umm...the year I started grade 2. I have to admit to having a pair of shoes like that though. not sure how, but I did.

    What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember Tretorns--maybe an East Coast thing? I do remember all the preppies at my school. I still freak a little at when I see LaCoste shirts. I loved Violent Femmes--I heard one of their songs the other day and realized it was 20 years old--OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny. I was just thinking about high school. Tonight I'm going to see the Police in concert and the last time I saw them was 24 years ago (when I was a freshman). I can even remeber what I wore.

    I too loved the Violent Femmes. They were from my town and it made living here just a bit cooler.

    I was also that alterna-loving girl who wanted to fit in with the preppies at my all girls high school. Salvation Army jackets over backwards Fiorenza sweaters from the Limited - yikes.

    Man way to many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, 22 years ago. I was about 1.5 years old :-) But I'd learned to walk!

    This is very funny - thanks for sharing. I love the pic of your team -- the boxes underneath the uniforms? Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And, I was the girl scaring the preppies in the hall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1986 - one of my favorite years! This is the year my hubby and I got together. I was going thru a horrible divorce and had 2 kids; ages 2 and 4.

    By the way, in 1986, I'd been out of highschool for 6 years already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the picture! Hmmm, 1986.... I was in middle school. What a long time ago that was. I think your hair looks great in the picture. You don't have the huge bangs with the aquanet wall. Hahaha, I had one of those. How embarrassing when I think of that hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1986... my Sophomore year in High School. As my 20 year reunion looms next year, this took me back... I didn't do the Tretorns, but I rocked my Kangaroos (remember with the pockets...) and my Kaepas with the interchangeable color inserts!

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally forgot about the boxers under things phase. This is all a bit haunting. Time to bust out some Love and Rockets records. I sure love the new footwear. Maybe I shall purchase some Stan Smiths or K Swiss. Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  13. your making us all sound so old. crazy to think 20 odd years ago. Love how the coachis dressed too, very princess Diani! she just needs some pearls...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just plain awesome. I had a pair in high school too. Oh how I remember the afternoons spent cruising the mall. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    Class of '89 is fine baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's all I wore were leather Tretorns! Thanks for the flashback!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had tretorns and kswiss. sigh. Now you've got me remembering. That picture is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who didn't love the 80's? So good. And I freaking loved my Tretorns.
    Such a fun post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at y'all!

    I love 80's music, but am EMBARASSED by photos of myself back then. WHY? Because I thought I was a total trend-setter, but I dressed badly even for the time. Yike.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the Femmes :)
    If I had a box from that year, there would be a big ol' can of Aqua Net!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We must be very close in age...Had to laugh with you down memory lane. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!