Sunday, July 27, 2008

Au Revoir le Tour de France

The sun has set on the 95th Tour de France. My mornings shall return to normal, no longer will I be glued to Versus, but PBS once again. I won't be contemplating how I am not the demographic for TdF viewers, with all male enhancement and hair replacement commercials. And, I won't be tuning into Versus' newest brainchild, The Contender Muay Thai, even though I saw no less than 500 commercials for it.

Truth be told, this is what I will be missing:

Good bye lean muscles, aching bodies, and endearing smiles

And a final congratulations to 33 year old Spanish rider, Carlos Sastre, for winning the Yellow Jersey and the title, with a mere 58 second lead. What a wonderful race. Your win at L'Alpe-D'Huez was by far my favorite stage.

I may have even come out of this year's race with a new favorite, an up and comer, ready to watch move into the yellow jersey within a few years, Luxembourg's Andy Schleck. Winner of the white jersey, for best youngest rider.

Au Revoir Le Tour. Au Revoir. Until next year...

photo credits here and here.



  1. anglophilefootballfanatic.comJuly 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM

    Is it wrong that I didn't even know it was on? I guess when Lance retired, most of mainstream America somewhat forgot about the TdF. I'm glad you follow so faithgfully.

  2. I love it too. But, I'll survive since the Olympics are next. Are you a fan?

  3. We too will miss it had become part of our morning ritual. We also watch the 500 runnings of those commercials...(enough said)

  4. yes, our mornings will return to news, boring. thank goodness for tivo so we could fast forward those annoying commercials. i was rooting for christian vandevelde. but he rode a good race.

  5. Just to make you jealous we saw 2 stages in France the arrival of day 5 at Chateauroux and part way round on day six when the leading cyclist took time to wave to the kids on the way past. Superb!

  6. I saw that first picture, and all I can think about is "wow, look at the definition in those calves!"

  7. I Love Andy Schleck; ProCycling magazine calls him "Cycling Caviar"

    I have started an Andy V. Cadel Blog. Care to link?


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!