Monday, July 14, 2008

Back To School Shopping: Crayons, Glue, and Thongs

Back to school shopping is almost upon us here in Colorado. As a little girl, I fell in love with back to school shopping. Picking out outfits, getting new shoes and sneakers, displaying them in my bedroom closet until the big day. It was always so difficult to decide what to wear on the first day. For the record, I was never ever allowed to wear any back to school clothing before the start of school. Official cardinal rule in my family. Probably won't be pulling that one off with Sj.

To top off the excitement, next month with my 4 year old, I will be heading back to school as well, to start my Master's Degree. I didn't anticipate any traditional "back to school shopping" for myself. For my soon-to-be kindergartener yes, for me no.

I printed out Sj's school supply list, laughing at the requests, 3 boxes of 24 count crayons and thinking gosh, they must take coloring serious at Sj's school. 3 bottles of Elmer's glue with mention of no Rose Art glue, I have never noticed a difference. Now I am quite curious as to why Rose art glue is inferior. I was actually happy to see they wanted a large box of baby wipes, so I feel relieved her teacher will have the butt-wiping down with no problem. Sj prefers a wet wipe after she poops. Maybe they had a different intention for those. Time will tell. I believe the kindergarten list is very manageable and from here on out, the cost of buying school supplies will sky rocket. Grade 1 supplies are a whole other ball game.

After anticipating not making any new purchases for myself to start school, there was a huge media frenzy about the University of Colorado and Victoria Secret. Seems as if CU has partnered with VS (gasp, cover your eyes!!!) to make a line of Pink Clothing branded with CU logos. What's the big deal right? I'm not sure. I think a bunch of testosterone filled men envisioned freshman women walking 1/2 naked to class in a little teddy adorned with a CU Ralphie the Buffalo. Or a diamond studded Ralphie on the T-Bar of their panties. Not the case. The line, after I investigated on my own, is a bunch of cutesie sweats, so those college aged women can go to school in coordinating sexy lounge wear. Boring.

To top it off VS doesn't even have one photo of the underwear on the web (store only). I think being a mom of two girls officially counts me out of the Victoria Secret Pink demographic, but just in case you are curious, this is what they look like. Awfully outrageous, wouldn't you agree?

14 comments:

  1. It's amazing what people will work themselves into a lather about!

    Now, I'm curious about the Rose Art glue, too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! It's cute!
    I think the name VS makes some people nervous. ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's totally cute...I wear Pink:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love VS's clothes surprisingly enough.

    if only they sold that stuff in STORES as Im not so much into the lingerie (much to my husbands chagrin ;))

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love back to school shopping myself.

    I wonder why CU picked VS? Surely there were other companies that would have done the same line at a comparable price. I wonder if they knew they would get plenty of publicity for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wasn't allowed to wear my back to school clothes until school started either, I think you should make Ralphie bejeweled thong for your first day of school, you could probably make some money off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you totally should not count yourself out just cuz your a mom! get some! do it! what are you getting your master's in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on going back to school. You are a brave woman.

    I think the name VS = scandal for most people. But don't they sell that stuff anyway without VS?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting for you! Sounds like fun. :)
    And the baby wipe thing? I think they actually ask for those for the purpose of cleaning sticky little hands after snack time and art projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the VS pink line is really sweet stuff. Mostly sweats and shorts with cute tees. I would get all excited about them, but they don't make them long enough for me to wear them :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps. what happend to summer! I can't believe it's already school shopping time.....boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. back to school clothes are no brainer here. One word--UNIFORMS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I snuck out of school supply buying this year and got the box o' supplies from the school. One less thing to worry about this year. But you totally need to get some CU PINK duds. ; ) I'm so happy for you, going back for the Masters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting post..! back to school shopping is always full of fun and joy.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!