Friday, July 11, 2008

Cheating Wives, Police Officers, and Eggs Benedict...

Inevitably we all have some flaws, right? One of my flaws, which I don't really speak too openly about, is eavesdropping. Some of you know about this habit of mine, but many others may be quite surprised by this statement. It's not like eavesdropping in a room where you know everyone, but aren't a part of the conversation. I mean eavesdropping in on conversations of complete strangers, typically mid conversation, which makes it a challenge to figure out what's going in. To top it off, I may add, I have become quite good at reading lips. Gosh, I feel ten pounds lighter already.

Here truly is rock bottom for me. The four of us, on a whim, went out to breakfast one morning last month. Turns out I couldn't tell you one thing my husband said to me, because I was completely consumed. I had hit the eavesdropping JACKPOT. There were two men in a booth behind me, having breakfast as well. My radar first when off when I heard divorce, affair, in my bed. Talk soon moved to letters in cars, her mother's house, her bills that he's paying for, how she's already moved in with the new guy, and they were both police officers. Poor guy, sounds like his soon-to-be ex was a real loser. I may have even detected a sniffle or two.

And me, I just have a problem with listening too closely to conversations that weren't meant for me. The first step for getting help is admitting to a problem, I am on the path of recovery, and paying close attention to exactly what my husband is saying. Yes, this is definitely a work in progress.

16 comments:

  1. Well the police officer story sounds like a Lifetime movie;) I am the exact opposite I don't notice anything, or anyone until they are right in front of my face...including my Husband:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fascinating! Now I want to know more about these police officers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn him....I TOLD my husband to keep his mouth shut about our personal lives!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't truly have a problem until you actually shush your husband so you can eavesdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd listen too ;)

    I actually sometimes look at strangers and make up stories about them--now i feel 20 pounds lighter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It would be difficult not to listen to a conversation like that. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this too. Its like a game to fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how was the eggs benedict?? our friend kip from lg makes an awesome one, fresh lemon in the sauce, all that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem. How brave of you to admit it.

    I used to hear some fantastic conversations on my commuter train when I was working. Too bad I didn't have a blog back then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I am the confidante of someone on the police force, I can tell you that affairs run RAMPANT at the PD. There's more bed hopping than a soap opera!

    Dropping in from AllMediocre! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO with you on the "casual" eavesdropping thing! It annoys my husband to no end, becuase I'm frequently following other conversations in restaurants rather than our own.

    Found you from All Mediocre and am adding you to my blogroll at

    http://psychmamma.wordpress.com

    Feel free to share any more juicy stories you overhear out there...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, wow. That's definitely the eavesdropping jackpot there. As a general rule I don't do that, but sometimes people just talk too loud and you can't help but overhear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG that IS the jackpot! I eavesdrop too but if the story is boring I stop. HA! Kinda like changing a channel!

    Here from AM!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!