Thursday, July 31, 2008

Everything Is Breaking (and an opportunity to be nosy!)

Does it ever seem like things break in waves around your house? Within the last month, we've been having all these little things here and there going wrong. I emphasize the little and I am grateful they are little. 

Well I wouldn't exactly call the oven debacle a little thing, although a new heating element only cost $55 and we did the quick fix ourselves. Then our second bathroom sink wasn't draining. I tried my darndest to snake the clog free myself, but no I had to call our local friendly plumber. The power snake did the trick in about 20 minutes. Charge to snake the sink, $155 bucks.

To top it all off, my car wanted in on the action. A light appeared, the your tires are unusually low light, on my dashboard. I had no idea I had such a sensor on my tires. Turns out after two weeks of driving with it on, I had a screw in my tire, that was causing a very slow leak. The dealership did not charge me to plug my tire when I had an oil change. I don't know if they just forgot or what, but how likely is it that a car dealership would plug a tire for free? Luck was on our side.

Hopefully, this will be the final the house is falling apart, itty-bitty piece by piece, tale. The other night, we were going through the bedtime routine. First stop, bathroom business. The girls were both on the step stool at the bathroom sink waiting to brush their teeth.

GL is yelling on her tippy toes, "Choo, Choo, Choo, Choo" demanding her train toothbrush.

SJ attempts to open medicine chest door, when all of a sudden it makes a loud pop. The door, which weighs no less than 20 pounds, sticks a bit and then drops in the corner a couple of inches. I grab the door as quickly as possible, fearing it would crash down on my sink. My new shiny sink from our bathroom remodel last year, pictures here.
So now, I am in a pickle, as I like to call it. I need to problem solve fixing the medicine cabinet door with one hand while bearing the weight with the other hand. I send Sj to get screwdriver when I discover the hinge will not just pop back into the bracket. I am awkwardly trying to reattach screws and getting no where fast. That's not exactly true, I was getting frustrated rather quickly. 

Mind you my husband is on his way home from a business trip while this is all transpiring.

The one hand holding 20 some pounds of door and the other trying to attach or detach screws in two hinges and brackets now is fruitless. I send Sj for the telephone. I reach my hubby.

Me: Where are you? (typical wife question, may I add)
Hubby: I'm pulling into the driveway.
Me: Can you run inside as fast as possible, like right NOW!!! Run, Run, RUN.

Not sure what went through his brain in that moment, I will have to inquire. He came to the rescue. All I can say is thank goodness, because I was truly in a bind. Two adults, four hands,a screwdriver, and the mirrored door was safely removed. Big sigh. 

The next morning, I called the company, and they are sending a new hinge. The woman casually mentioned they make a THREE hinge version now because of all the problems they encountered with my version. Nice, thanks for the salt in my wound lady.

Here's your chance to be nosy, take a peek inside my medicine chest. It's currently doorless, but we have just received the hinge. Ummm, yeah, I have a weakness for products. I will refrain from showing you my toiletry closet.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog! Hope that's it for the house/car troubles. At least your hubby didn't find the mess mine did....

    Lets see, being nosy, is that a Hylands bottle next to the Burt' Bees deo? And I see California Baby in there too, along with some Arbonne. Wow, that is a weird kind of thrill to look in someone else's medicine cabinet. Haven't done that since I was a teen...My friend's store, OurGreenHouse.com, used to sell those cute little buckets too (as gift buckets)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! if I ever need advice on anything sold in the health & beauty department, I'll email you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sink envy
    sink envy
    sink envy
    sink envy
    sink envy
    sink envy
    sink envy
    Im green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your sink! I'm glad you were able to save the sink (and not hurt you or your children in the process) I would love to hear what went through your husband's mind when you asked him to run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we go through everything breaking waves too. I would love to check out the product closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do things always happen when the hubby is away?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, we're hitting WF together and shopping for personal products. LOL!
    And I LOVE the sink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the sink and mirror combo! I have a bit of a toiletry fetish myself:P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything definitely breaks in waves!

    I'm dying to know what your husband was thinking when you were telling him to run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh you know i have a wave thing going here too. In case it's contagious i think we should meet at an undisclosed location next week for the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had some of that going on here...first the fridge now the dishwasher is leaking. But we rent our house (we can't commit to living in Utah) so we don't have to pay for it.

    LOVE your sink!

    I was just thinking the other day how strange it is that our house doesn't have any medicine cabinets in it. None.

    I hope this is the end of the breakage at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The update, my hubby doesn't remember what he was thinking. With a big sigh, he said, I don't know maybe that GL just fell on her head again. (she's been doing that plenty lately).

    so there's the answer. Apparently a freaked out wife, yelling run inside now, has no impact on my husband's psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear no one was hurt. By that I mean your gorgeous sink wasn't damaged!

    We are about to remodel every bathroom in our house so I am all about sinks and tiles and toilets right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. I hate when stuff like this happens.

    In 2003 we signed the paperwork for a (very expensive) room addition. Within a week everything else was breaking....we needed a new pool liner and a new roof. And we had to have a new well dug! Yikes!

    At first I thought you had two of everything in your medicine chest, and I thought, "Wow, you're organized!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. First off be glad you have those problems and not the ones we have with our house (leaking basements and unusable showers).

    Second that sink is gorgeous.

    Third, very organized medicine cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. maybe you are about to run into a lot of money--that's what happens when everything breaks here--the house and car know :)

    Ha--we have the same prenatal vitamin!

    I WANT THE SINK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Mizfit - sink envy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your medicine cabinet beats mine, but I think my toiletry cabinet might just beat anything you've got, due to an obsession of my husband's with CVS...

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's the kind of shit that always happened when I wasn't home. Now that we don't live together, it still happens to my wife and I still go and fix it, but it's not the crisis it was when I was on a business trip.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!