Monday, July 7, 2008

Family Camping In Colorado (it could happen)...

One could call purchasing a six person tent as a Father's Day Gift, planting a seed. Now that our baby is nineteen months old, it was time for our first family of four camping trip. Heck, we do live in Colorado, one of the most scenic states in the country, where in less than one hour you can arrive smack dab in the center of a scenic dream. A landscape painting come to life. Breathtaking. 10,300 feet above sea level, may I add.

After much debate, discussion, and research, ultimately we decided on Brainard Lake as our destination. The campground features the beauty and splendor of a back country adventure, with the perks of two wonderful amenities-vault toilets and drinking water. Now don't get me wrong, vault toilets are what you would expect, a bit rustic, but the facilities were kept surprisingly tolerable.
(Here's our site, tent off to the left, snow still lingering)

The beauty of our three day excursion was watching J transform into "man of the camp mode", as I like to call it. I kid you not, I went to bed while my husband made lists, packed food and gear, and even shopped. I will be the first to admit, I completely surrendered control of packing and I actually liked it. Much to my delight, my husband's enthusiasm for our trip went beyond packing and straight through day three. He cooked the entire time, cleaned the dishes with snow, played with the girls, set up and took down camp, and had a smile on his face while doing it.

I lounged, I read, I ate really good food, I wrote, and I had one heck of a time.

So did our girls. They were magnificent, I always feel so lucky when I witness how easy going my girls actually are. How they can just go with the flow, even if the flow is swatting mosquitos, wearing wool hats to bed because it dropped to the low 40's at night, or playing in the snow with shorts on!

I recommend a little adventure in your life, especially the rustic variety. How often do we experience life completely unplugged from appliances, electronics, and all the distractions we fill our days with? A few days for me, having conversation, just being with my family, taking in the beauty that surrounds us, filling my lungs with crisp mountain air, allowing starlight to gently light our path when the sun went down, helped pass the time. Maybe just a little too quickly.

As for the fireworks, they'll be here next year.

15 comments:

  1. That trip sounds like heaven. My husband is like yours. When it comes to the big camp out, he completely takes charge. And does a pretty good job! Love the new picture/banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! And if you're going to mention camping to me, you'd best be mentioning some sort of toilet. And maybe a shower.

    My FIL is trying to talk is into going horseback camping. As in ride a horse into the wilderness and camp. Yeah. With the kids. I told him to rent a cabin nearby and I'd have food ready when they got back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! I'm so glad you guys did this. Yes, it is GREAT to be in contact with nature once in a while. We're going camping in Sept., can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just love to play in snow in July :)
    The views are amazing--way better than fireworks any day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing, camping & enjoying it :D

    Snowmen in July seem much more amenable than the other kind what with not having to be in a parka and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a fantstic trip. Glad the you all had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pix! Sounds like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds beautiful, makes me want to go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... I am not exactly a nature girl and you actually just made me want to go camping. Beautiful time with the family. cool tent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think if I had a different husband that this would be possible. Tom hates the mere thought of camping. I'm the one who bought a tent and there it sits in the garage, all lonesome and pouty. We'll go with the Cub Scouts, and that'll probably be about it. Looks like you had fun, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! Next summer is our camping summer! Glad you all had a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A snowman in July? Who needs fireworks?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a great vaca!

    Love the tent pic:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We went camping this past weekend, too. And it was $16 per night, too. You totally can't beat that for a fun family summer weekend!
    Your pics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think if my husband took over the planning for a camping trip and cooked on it (I would be in the twilight zone) I would like to go.
    Pictures are fun, snowman is way fun and how cute is the tent!?

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!