Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Farmer Envy, Roly Poly Bugs, and Lots of Patience

Early Saturday morning, I went on a leisurely stroll with one of my dear friends through the Farmer's Market in Boulder. Surprisingly to my delight, the market was not packed to the gills, nor was it hot and sweaty. It was refreshing, we chatted about all the local purveyors and how the market has evolved over the last 14 years.

Personally, I was thrilled to have a look at the vegetables the professional farmers produce. Holy. Awe and amazement are just two words that come to mind. At one point I had to pull myself back as I found my hand stroking some gorgeous golden beets. One of the biggest lessons I have learned from gardening this year is that beyond the regimented care and diligence, little buggers may just take hold of your precious plants in one night.

Enter the Pill Bug/ Roly Poly.

I noticed early on that something was eating my zucchini plants when they were pretty small. Close by I planted some beans as well and in eight hours, after sun fall, all the leaves were completely consumed from my beans. My zucchini is holding strong, but two plants were destroyed. In an attempt to keep the little critters away, I've rolled up a newspaper and wet it. They collect under there at night (probably after their bellies are full of zucchini leaves). I wake in the morning, shovel in hand, lift the newspaper,and physically remove them.

I looked into chemical/non-chemical treatments for the Roly-Polies, but it wasn't worth the cost. If they want zucchini let them have it. Just as long as they stay away from my coveted tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and basil.

Enjoy the pictures, from my little garden, a source of joy for the entire family...

Devoured zucchini plants...

Our cute roma tomatoes, love the oval shape.
Patience waiting for green to turn red. 

Early Girl Tomatoes, growing strong. 

Pumpkins, gourds, and watermelon are growing in this patch. Not sure which plants are which at this point, have to wait for the fruit, it's like a mystery...
A green lovely mystery. 

19 comments:

  1. Well I guess that explains the holes in the leaves of my Roma Tomato plants. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a pumpkin patch going unbeknownst to me--the girls planted seeds while daddy was carving last Halloween ;) Sadly this is Texas and the patch did not survive--I am green with green garden envy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such fun...My tomato plant only has flowers... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmm, nothing better than home grown tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish that I had my own garden, especially with all the lovely garden stories and pictures in all the blogs this summer. I'm glad to hear your garden is going strong, the pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so jealous. A friend on mine has a beautiful garden that produces lots of great veggies. I do not have a green thumb at all. I just take all her extra zucchini and cabbage.

    My husband planted some tomatoes this year that so far look like they're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting--our zucchini plants are growing well, but our arugula and broccoli rabe are being devoured--must be a different bug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are magical. I would love to have the energy & patience to maintain a viable garden. As it is, I rely on perennials to surprise me after the first year of semi-attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the best kind of mystery... the kiddos will have a wonderful time I am sure with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you need neem oil, all natural flower extract, you add it to warm water and spray it on all sides of the leaves, in vietnam the soldiers would ingest it to keep the bugs away, only downside is it will kill the good bugs,aka, ladybugs also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tomatoes! Gardening can be challenging with little critters,but in the end the results are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had a green thumb but I don't its black, black, black. But those pictures are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The huge leaves are pumpkin. I know because I planted waaaaaay too much this year for some reason. I tried watermelon last year and got nothing. I think it doesn't get hot enough here or something (like I don't know what I'm doing).

    Good luck with your bug battle. I killed more beetles today myself. Oddly satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow the tomoatoes are going well, we have tonnes of "courgettes" we can do a swap in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden looks great (minus the bug problem)!

    I am kicking myself for not planting tomato plants this year...I thought we were moving to MN so I didn't plant anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a mess of a garden, but isn't it fun? Ours is actually too messed up to weed at this point, I haven't a clue what is edible and what is weed. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!