Friday, July 4, 2008

Journals For Your Children

Mothers that blog, assume that one day their digital journals will become a part of their children's history books, so to speak. While many of my posts contain content about my girls, my blog never was solely intended to focus on my children. Instead this blog was created as an outlet for me, something of my very own. I am not sure how many things are my very own these days and sometimes, the blogging outlet is a blessing. If you happen to be a regular reader of this blog, you know it's a big mishmash of this and that, ponderings, giggles, and happenings. I wouldn't have it any other way.

But I got to thinking. As my interest in writing has peaked, I feel I need to share this interest with my girls. I've decided to pick up two blank journals, one for Sj and one for GL. Each month on their day of birth, I am going to write them a journal entry. I would be kidding myself if I didn't mention that I was inspired by the one and only Dooce. Every month she writes a post to her daughter, touching upon her life.

For me, honesty and intimacy will be most truly spilled upon the pages, not in digital format. But instead in my own handwriting, maybe even a doodle here or there. A little special piece of me, accompanied by a piece of them, to one day read and reflect. Hopefully I can even include a photo from the month to help create a visual journey as well.

Which makes me wonder, how do you celebrate the little moments as well as the big ones in your children's lives?

15 comments:

  1. A journal is a great idea. I've been trying to scrapbook my boys' first year forever. I hope to eventually get it done. I need to get more organized. Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 girls and I've kept a journal for them all their lives! The journals started when I realized their baby books were filling up with all the info of their lives.

    My girls are now 16, 24 and 26 and I have stacks and stacks of journals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a great idea..thanks for sharing...hope you are having fun camping...I was surprised to see there was an entry today since you are camping:p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started journals for the kids when I found out I was pregnant with each of them. I write in them several times a month or when something significant has happened. I also record gifts that they have received in the back.

    I'm excited that they will have a complete record of their life to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started doing the journals for my girls after they were born. I have posted anything in there in a long while but I haven't put them down either. My plan was to put them all together and when they turn 18 and go off to college, they will ahve a written reminder of their lives. I try to include in there little lessons that I feel are critical for their development, just in case I'm not around to reinforce them in later years (God forbid.)

    Also, I too, did not start blogging because of my kids. I needed something for myself. The only real daily reminder of my kids in my blog is in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea! I write down some of my favorite stories about my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey when did the socks move to the mountains?!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a personal blog in which I write daily---but I know as my Toddler gets older Ill struggle to find the time.

    perhaps? may be not...


    M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a great idea, I'm going to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I write letters to my children on their birthdays and stick them in their baby books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful idea! I had journals for my best friends that I started senior year of college...I just gave them to the three who most recently graduated, who I'm not so close to these days, but we're still friends. Just an idea, I don't know how artsy you are, but what I did was get a few plain old notebooks (you know, the ones with the marbly covers...can't remember the names...with the book bound pages) I got various 12 x 12 scrapbooking paper, each journal was themed. I ripped up the paper and used modge podge to create their very own customize journal. I used gesso (found in the painting/canvas supplies) to cover the inside covers and then painted on the inside. You could also cover them with paper and put pictures or something.
    Random idea, but thought you might like it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this idea. I wrote a letter to my first son each month on the anniversary of his birth during his first year. I have since stopped and have yet to write to my littlest son, now 10M! Your post inspired me to get back into this practice - they grow so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i totally agree. my blog is something i do for myself but would love a documentation about my daughter. the journal is a great idea! along with some form of scrapbooking to have photos evidence but nothing beats a personal hand written note. thanks for the idea, just might have to copy you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!