Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pizza Saturday, huh? Marco's in Denver!

The Foodie buzz has been brewing about a new pizza place in Denver. Marco's Coal-Fired Pizzeria boasts authentic Neapolitan pizza, right down to the Italian sourced flour in their crust. With a broken oven, Pizza Friday was a bust in our house, so we headed downtown to give Marco's a try.

We decided to take the girls for lunch, with our reasoning being they are just more manageable around noon and we knew it would be less crowded, than on a Friday night. First of all, let me cheer with delight, when I share that there is FREE PARKING in the lot next to the building, huge bonus for downtown Denver. When we arrived, we were the only people in the restaurant. Granted it was about 11:30 on a Saturday.

We ordered two pizzas and their specialty coal fired wings. The wings are made with onions, fresh herbs and lemons, served up with focaccia that the girls devoured. They were a nice refreshing change from your typical buffalo style wings. The pizzas we ordered were the Staten Island, with salame, fresh mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, and San Marzano tomatoes and the Campania with Bufala Mozzarella, tomatoes, fresh basil.

Honestly, I will say, ever since I dined at Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles, I've been chasing the culinary delight pizza truly can be. I have to admit, for Denver and for Colorado, Marco's does a great job. First you have to walk through the door, letting go of traditional notions of what a pizza should be. Neapolitan pizza has a thin crust, with thicker edges, tomatoes with seasoning, and light on the fresh cheese. The pizza is very basic, in a good sense. It allows you to experience all the flavors in a new way, with out being overwhelmed by toppings. I was impressed with the crust, chewy with some crispiness through out. Fresh cheese always makes eating pizza a bit more of a challenge, but it's a wonderful departure from traditional mozzarella. Very authentic. 

Thumbs up, Marco's, I will definitely put it on my Fabulous Pizza in Colorado list. Trust me, it's a short one. If you're in the neighborhood, give it a try.

Marco's Website, 2129 Larimer Street, Denver 80205

(photo disclaimer, I took one photo on my camera before the battery died, oops! So the photo was taken with my cell phone, decent, but not fabulous, so I am keeping it to one shot!)


  1. My cousin and her family live in Denver. I will have to let her know.

  2. DH is going to Denver for the Bronco games. I will have to have him try this place during one of his trips!

    I love reading and writing restaurant reviews!

  3. That sounds very delicious and authentic! Great ideas for trying at home too!

  4. That pizza sounds amazing, and "Pizza Friday" reminds me of my childhood - such great memories for me, as I am sure your kids will have as well :)

  5. Looks yummy--Texas has very very few pizza places so I am drooling at this pic!

  6. Hey, I'm in Denver (sort of). I'll have to go there too!

  7. You've got my mouth watering, I'm sold. Now I just have to fly to Denver I suppose. Unless they have a REALLY good delivery service...


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!