Monday, August 11, 2008

Chaos From The Inside Out (and yet another opportunity to be nosy!)

Oddly enough, my linen closet seems to be a blaring metaphor for how I've been feeling lately. Looking in from the outside, when the closet door is closed, you don't quite grasp what's behind it. You don't see the haphazardness of placement, linens all strewn, being nudged a bit more every time the closet door closes. Or even how I may have to throw my shoulder into it these days, just to hide the mess away.

Same goes for me. When you see me, I look the same. Well, I may be over do for a haircut, but most generally speaking I put on a look, like the closed door. But inside, I was feeling overwhelmed and chaotic. Holding all the pieces of my responsibilities together, but not with any order. And with a little help from PMS emotionally I have been overflowing.

But then I decided I could not take the chaos my linen closet has become. I love to organize things, closets, toys, mail, paperwork, craft supplies, on and on. Oh how I get blissed out as I envision the serenity known to me as organization. First step in organizing the closet, empty it completely. Being a visual person, I need to see everything in one place to then move forward with the components that complete the closet as a whole.
As for me? Well, after my woe is me week, I released my stress with some socializing. J and the girls had some great quality time together. I caught up with friends with no children in sight demanding our attention. I escaped my reality in the movies, quite easily, with the most beautiful scenes of Greece compliments of Momma Mia, topped off with lunch that included Buffalo Wing Sauce and Blue Cheese. A beer one night and some appetizers. Sangria and a nice spread another night. Holy, moly talk about a world of difference. I can't forget the playdate for the girls that included fresh cupcakes, how splendid. (and a huge thank you to my girlfriends that reached out to me this week, it meant way more than you could ever know!)

Enough of a difference, to create this serenity. Can you hear singing when I open the closet door and see this? Can you hear singing because I've slept in, had breakfast in bed, and most importantly seized the opportunity to have time to myself. So thank you dear hubby for letting me recharge my batteries. Inside I feel harmony to start the week ahead that will bring about much more of what last week had to offer. It's amazing when I feel better how my home just seems to fall right into place, just like my linen closet.
I guess with out those Woe Is Me moments, you never can truly grasp how lucky you are. And here's to a week, I'm probably not going to want to remember! Can't wait for my life preserver parents to arrive via airplane Friday!
---

27 comments:

  1. I've often said that my purse is a metaphor for my life. It always starts out organized...

    I completely relate to your love of closet overhaul. I have about five in my house that need some serious help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could get motivated to clean out my closet. And I am WAY to ashamed of the mess in there to post a picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is SO important to recharge at least once a week. I am so glad to hear that you did. It's amazing how we feel after we have some time to ourselves or out with some friends. It definitely helps us see straight and gets us back on track. It's fantastic your parents are coming to visit. Don't forget to take the time for you while they're visiting. A happier mom is beneficial to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get Saturday mornings to do whatever I want and it makes all the difference in the world. Now if I could just organize my closets like you, I'd be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the linen closet metaphor. Perfect!

    Glad you got to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey - how did you get in my house and take a pix of my linen closet?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am coming to live in your linen closet. It looks so peaceful there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! it's amazing how doing something like that brings such an amazing peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. I kind of thought I was the only person in the world who had a linen closet that looked like that!

    I think you may have just given me hope that I can finally turn it around...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So when you coming round to tackle my linen closet, our door doesn't even close properly anymore

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't just hear singing...I heard an entire symphony orchestra...

    Holy cow girl!

    isn't that PMS a bitch!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol are you John Cusack from "High Fidelity"? I can picture the scene where he spends an entire night rearranging his record collection, except replaced with linens. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. its the weaning hormones honey, at least you did something productive instead of eating a crate of chocolate bars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo for a girls night out! Sounds like it was just what you needed.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes I just wanna scream, "Serenity NOW!!!" but then I just go organize something and I feel a lot better. I did the boys' rooms last week and the instant stress relief was amazing. Next week when school starts I can hit some of the other house hot spots and then I'll just walk around with a big honkin' grin on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW but that's a clean, neat closet!

    Glad you had the girls night(s) and are feeling recharged! And YAY! for cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always clean and organize when I feel anxious or out of sorts. BTW, I have the same striped towel from Target. Excellent taste, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok so lets do a MNO for Indian food. Lets check calandars later. Gin

    ReplyDelete
  20. My life is a constant battle to stay organized. I have come so far the past 10 years-but I still have a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done...I know exactly how you feel:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing feels so good to me as accomplishing something like this. I am satisfied vicarously, through you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. God, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bursting-the-seams linen closet. So glad you reached out and got some support and are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! Thanks for sharing the photo! Just seeing someone else's closet get that clean is inspiring.

    And your photo at the top of the site is beyond precious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love organization. I am required to because I am a Virgo!

    I love the after picture!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that closet looks pristine. I'm glad you got some time away to recharge your batteries. I hope you have a great time with your parents!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!