Monday, August 18, 2008

Lingering Moments, Unagi, and a Gelato Appearance

When life gets in the way of time together, seizing the moment, any moment is crucial. Lucky for my hubby and I, our moment came in the form of a meal out on the town, all by ourselves before he leaves us for an extended business trip. So where do two grown ups eat with out their two little girls in tow?

Sushi Tora in Boulder. 

J and I haven't been to Sushi Tora in years. Like a decade kind of years. Actually if my memory serves me correctly, we may have even been vegetarians the last time we entered Sushi Tora. Crazy. Back then, we dined out on whims, never really savoring the moment like we do now. It's funny, now we mull over the menu, discuss a plethora of options. We always try something new, order items we want to share. Today, getting out less frequently, I feel grateful for these special moments. I notice we re-capture a part of us, almost if we were newly in love and dating.

As far as sushi in Boulder goes, I have to admit Sushi Tora is hands down the best little gem, tucked away on a side street behind the hustle and bustle of Pasta Jay's on Pearl. Sushi Zanmai and Hapa draw the crowds, but in the last few years, Zanmai has been very disappointing. It's turned into a mediocre sushi experience, with the quality not quite up to what we have come to expect in years past. And Hapa, it's hip and trendy, it's good, but J is the traditional sushi purist.

Sushi Tora's quality includes hand crafted sauces and fish fresh off the airplane from Tokyo. They use locally sourced greens, herbs, and real wasabi root. We ordered a typical smattering of delights, but hands down my favorite was the Unagi (fresh water eel) that was on the special menu. I love Unagi, but this was the best mouth watering, buttery, melted in my mouth Unagi. The Eel actually arrives to Tora alive! Beyond comparison.

Following dinner, we walked around the corner, through the hustle and bustle of the Saturday night Pearl Street crowd, to Gelato Bacio. Of course I craved gelato on a cold and rainy, 50 degree August evening. 90 degrees for three weeks straight, then 50 degrees, oh how do I love Colorado.

Gelato Bacio is a small spin off from the brains behind Spruce Confections, another Boulder gem. The gelato is made fresh daily. The only problem I encountered was deciding which flavors to indulge in. As a true lover of all things ice tea and lemonade, I chose Earl Grey and Fresh Lemon gelato. It was delicious and I am already anticipating another visit.
Could it really have been ten years ago, I was on my honeymoon, strolling the streets of Italy? Eating gelato from little stands parked on cobblestone streets. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't of imagined my life the way it is today. And, seventeen years later, still feeling a rush when I have a couple of hours out with my one and only.

To my hubby, hurry home, September won't come soon enough.

---

15 comments:

  1. Although the sushi LOOKS really interesting, I just have yet to bring myself to trying it. I like fish, and I like all the constituent ingredients, but for some reason I just can't try it.

    Now, as far as gelato goes: oh yeah! That's my kind of treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you mean with nights out with the husband feeling like actual dates now...savoring every moment. i can't do eel. my favorite is the philadelphia role, i know not a purist, but who can resist cream cheese! too bad i have to stick to the california roles for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I had to read this right before a lunch I may have to skip...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so yummy! Now, I'm starving . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I always do sushi when we get a rare moment of aloneness. I love unagi, and there is nothing like sharing sushi, talking about things not related to a cartoon, and enjoying the quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sushi looks delicious. I've tried eel, but am not a fan unfortunately. We walked by that place so many times and never tried :( Oh well, perhaps when we come back to CO permanently someday! As for going out with the hubby, that's wonderful. Yes, it's always so nice to have the time alone as a couple. We have committed ourselves to getting out once a week. I know that sounds like a lot, BUT it has strengthed our marriage and made us closer. I'm so glad you guys had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sushi looks delicious. I've tried eel, but am not a fan unfortunately. We walked by that place so many times and never tried :( Oh well, perhaps when we come back to CO permanently someday! As for going out with the hubby, that's wonderful. Yes, it's always so nice to have the time alone as a couple. We have committed ourselves to getting out once a week. I know that sounds like a lot, BUT it has strengthed our marriage and made us closer. I'm so glad you guys had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sushi but those are a little too fishy for me. But that gelatto, that looks DELICIOUS!!!! I'm glad you got to go out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sushi and gelato are like two of my most favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. can't do fish, sorry, but love Gelato, it all looks so good, mmm. Glad you were able to get a date alone, it's so good i know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terry and I went to Sushi Den in Denver in June and it was such a great date night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great date!

    We love going out for Sushi and we miss GREAT sushi that we used to get in Denver. Utah+Sushi=Gross!

    Have you ever had quail egg? There is a roll I love with the little red fish eggs and then egg on top. It is amazing! I have a picture of it on my blog from my trip to Dallas.

    Try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sushi...yummm! Looks good to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to try this place. I'm also a sushi purist. I'll never get sushi at the grocery store, I rarely get a frou-frou roll...I want the real stuff.
    And you and I should go together sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We reached the Moon and came back,but we find it troublesome to cross our own street and meet our neighbors aoc power leveling

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!