Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday Tips- Real Simple 20 Minute Meals

Although I hate to admit it, I no longer subscribe to Real Simple Magazine, I had to pick up this month's current issue when I saw the cover. 20 Minute Meals, Healthy Delicious Dinners For The Entire Month. Speak to me, say my name, say my name. Dinner in 20 minutes!?! I couldn't allow my usual in line perusal of the magazine to suffice with this issue, it was worth it's weight in gold.

I'm not sure if it's just my girls, but for some reason the three weeks of 90 degree heat combined with 4:30 in the afternoon, seems to be a combination for meltdowns and neediness. Not exactly the type of behavior I am hoping for as I start to prepare dinner. So what do I need, healthy, quick, and simple recipes. This week I chose three recipes to prepare from the magazine and planned accordingly before I did my shopping. I am happy to report, the recipes I chose didn't have many out of the ordinary ingredients. Simple and delicious, now that's my kind of weekday cooking.

The first recipe I prepared was the Cool Southwestern Salad With Corn and Avocado. I was having dinner with a friend that night, so I wanted to prepare something easy and light. The dressing for the recipe is fresh lime juice, ground cumin, olive oil, and salt. So simple, but full of wonderful flavor. We added rotisserie chicken to the finished salad, which was a nice addition of protein. Although the recipe did not specify, I did cook the corn on the cob first, so then our kids could enjoy corn with the meal as well. Corn on the cob is a huge hit with my girls lately. Definitely recommend this one.

The next recipe I prepared was the Gingery Salmon With Peaches. Yum grilled peaches were a hit with us! The only problem with this recipe is that Sj is not a huge salmon eater, so we had to provide her with an alternative protein source. We grilled our WILD salmon on thinly sliced lemon under the filets. It really makes a nice touch and depth of flavor that is unexpected. Definitely buy fresh thyme, it makes all the difference. Another hit.

The last recipe I prepared was the Spaghetti With Broccoli and Lemon. Typically I use Barilla Plus, with the drawback being it's not organic, but the protein and fiber are wonderful. My family has a thing for Barilla, so most of the time Barilla it is. It just so happened I had organic whole wheat linguini in the house, which I used for the recipe. That's the beauty of pasta dishes, I use what's on hand. I held off on the red pepper flakes to make it appealing for the girls and allowed my hubby to season to taste, red pepper flakes do make a nice touch. Honestly, adding a cup of pasta water seemed a bit much to me. I think I would reduce it to a half cup next time. The lemon flavor was a little lost with out the lemon zest in a bite. Also, we don't eat Parmesan, I grew up eating Pecorino Romano. So of course I used Romano in the recipe. It was a fine replacement. The girls devoured it, but broccoli is their favorite vegetable, so I had it easy with this one. Give it a try, it's faster than loading up the kids in the car and driving through a very unhealthy alternative.

Hope you give some of these quick meals a shot. The appeal of a short ingredient list and easy preparation gets me every time. Everyone is happy when dinner is ready in a flash and clean plates fill the sink. Enjoy.

Please share some quick recipes you've been loving in the heat of summer!

25 comments:

  1. Might have to go get a copy of that magazine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, you got rid of Real Simple? I love that magazine and look forward to it every month. I will definitely have to post some of my quick favorites. The recipes did sound delicious in that issue. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...those really sound good. I stopped all my magazines, but often find myself longing for REAL SIMPLE. I may need to pick up that copy.

    Between 4-6 pm around here the boys are CRAZY. That is one of my dinner excuses, but it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links! Anything to make dinner time simplier is A-okay in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links! What a great post.

    :-) Real Simple, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just opened the August Real Simple this morning! I subscribe, but I'm a serial subscriber and unfortunately, this one was at the bottom of a stack. You're right - the recipes look simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't beat 20 minute meals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought that magazine for the same reason. The only difference is that I haven't actually done anything with it. I always like the IDEA of recipes - but then I remember that don't really love cooking. So basically I'm just wasting my money on pretty pictures...which is actually the point of buying magazines, right? Maybe I'll give the 20 minute meals a try - it's just 20 minutes of cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped the magazine for a while too, i just had too many coming in but maybe its time to give it a go again. the salad looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh all I post are quicker or at least easy recipes. I have a really good tortalini soup that is really REALLY easy and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One cannot have enough 20 min. meals in their arsenal. I will have to get the issue.

    Also wanted to let you know I am hosting my first giveaway for a Super Hero Cape. Come on by and check it out.

    http://eastpecos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making that salad tonight, since I FINALLY went to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to have to try those. We have been having a meltdown around that time too (sometimes its even me) so fast is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to get Real Simple too. Maybe I should get it again--the salmon with peaches is intriqueing ;)

    I love parmesan reggiano but my girls love the romano--funny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent ideas. Thanks for sharing. I subscribed to Real Simple, but I have yet to receive my first issue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've subscribed to Real Simple for years and they haven't let me down yet on the recipe department. Thanks for testing these for us ahead of time though!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. great tips...also, check out everyday food mag...it has a lot of less than 30 minute meals that are easy and not complicated:o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just what I need - especially with the limited time I have to make dinner some nights...Thanks for the links!! I'll definitely be referring back to your post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. tuna out of the can & frozen grapes.

    see? that's why no one ever asks me :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Real Simple magazine. Guilty pleasure. Haven't made those yet, but will!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, those all sound delicious. I really need to get over my whole phobia of touching raw meat. Maybe I'll ask the bf to teach me to cook with raw meat. I'm sure I could do it. I just have to get over the phobia first. But not today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. did you catch the e-vite from kim~!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect! I may just "steal" a recipe or two from you :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!