Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Unforeseen Problem With Afternoon Kindergarten

My daughter loves clothes. Sj's been opinionated about what she wants to wear for a couple of years now. Hands down, she probably changes her outfit about five times in any given day. I believe I am making progress in training her to put the not even close to dirty clothes back into her dresser, helping cut down on unnecessary laundering of clean clothes. Although her laundry pile still towers over ours. Maybe we should call it a work in progress.

On top of her love of changing her clothes on a whim, we also went through an inappropriate for the weather phase. Take for example a swim suit, winter boots, and snow falling out the window. Fine when we are inside, but not okay when I have to go to the store. I have resorted to putting her outside on the porch to see if she could fair in her summery outfits mid-winter, typically she has a change of heart. As of late, with our 90 degree weather, she has insisted on wearing her jeans to school. She has a dresser full of skirts and summery dresses, but of course jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt, just perfect.

Maybe about once a week, Sj allows me to provide some guidance over her clothing selections for school. Last week, we had completely bizarre weather, with 50 degree days following a heat wave that was three weeks long. So I anticipated some clothing choices that wouldn't fit the conditions outside.

But one week into school, I am already dreading afternoon kindergarten. This is what she came up with on Friday (the 50 degree day). Luckily we didn't have a bathroom episode in between outfit changes to throw us off track even more.

After pajamas, outfit number one:

Nah, wasn't feeling that one, maybe this warm weather outfit will do:

Finally, with a little encouragement from mom (I didn't have to put her outside!), a face washing, and hair brushing, it was time to go:

Like clockwork, she walks in the door after school and completely disrobes. That my friends I saved you from witnessing.

If you happen to have an outfit changing fanatic in your house, I recommend pushing for morning kindergarten. That way you can get your little one out the door with out having to go through major outfit changes before school starts!

---

22 comments:

  1. My oldest has always been a fashion diva - something her 2 younger sisters, and her mother, are not! I learned a long time ago not to protest too much about clothing changes. The more you complain, the more they will do the exact opposite.

    I did have rules, though: 1.)short could only be worn if the temp was going to hit at least 65 degrees, 2.)the dress code must be followed, 3.)nothing dirty or with obvious holes.

    These rules helped me raise 3 daughters (ages 16, 24, and 26)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was me. No wonder my parents put me in a private school with a required uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally see my daughter doing this.

    Note to self: apply to Catholic school with uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanna bet? Baby Puppy went through . . . hang on, let me count . . . 6 pairs of pants this morning. Oh, and her socks were itchy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She must be in cahoots with my daughters. We go through this every morning. Times two. We even had afternoon kindergarten last year.

    This year in first grade, we need to be at school at 8:30am. so hopefully there will be no time for morning fashion show. One can hope right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious and girl, I know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see this in my future and am not too happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at that little fashionista modeling those clothes! That girl knows how to pose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. My 2 y/o daughter is already a little fashionista who loves to get dressed up and is very choosy about her clothes in the morning. Looks like I need to prepare myself for what's imminently in store. Thanks for the heads up re: morning kindergarten!

    BTW, your daughter is simply lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, right now I have a nudist running around the house...That will have to change for preschool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! That is hilarious. My son is the exact opposite. I'm just happy if I can keep him clothed for the whole day. The boy would be content to run around in his underwear all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A budding fashionista! But... Point taken. Will keep that in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow--this makes me glad I have boys. I still pick out Ethan's clothes!! But I totally get the "take off all clothes" thing--both are watching a video naked right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how she's posed for all the photos.

    School doesn't start for another 2 weeks in these necks of the woods and my daughter has already planned out her wardrobe for the entire first week of school...complete with matching shoes....she even has a pair of socks tucked into each pair of shoes.

    She likes to be prepared.

    I think I've created a monster.

    A deliciously girly monster.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have said it's a girl thing but my son is just as crazy about changing (he averages 5 times a day too). I love her little poses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could get my son to care just a little bit about what he wears...He'd head off to preschool in just about anything if I let him!

    Hope your daughter is enjoying kindergarten! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. And each and every outfit changed ends up shoved under the bed in a ball covered by loose pillow feathers and dog hair.

    Thanks for your comments on my Olympic blogging. Don't worry, I'm sure you will still get to see lots of shirtless Phelps ion the coming months. Maybe he and Matthew McConaghey will make a topless movie together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do not keep anything for a special occasion.because every day that you live is a SPECIAL OCCASION Age Of Conan gold

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those poses are priceless. I will keep this advice in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is SOOOOO Ms. E!!! I was laughing when I read this because she does the exact same thing. The clothes with the inappropriate weather is her too! It can be frustrating with the changing of clothes, but it's fun to see how their developing their inner selves. So cute....

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter has an adorable school uniform, but we still battle over the socks and shoes. Every morning she freaks over socks that "don't feel right." Just bought a 10 pack at Wal-mart today and am saying a little prayer for the first day of school. Church on Sundays is for short shorts and go-go boots. Yikes. Thank goodness people think she's younger than she is!

    ReplyDelete
  22. But she looks so darn cute! I hope she learns to go with just one outfit soon. ;)

    Anna See-omg that sounds like me. I used to drive my mother absolutely nuts! (not just socks...jeans/pants too) She used to have to fold the toe part of the sock up over my foot so I wouldn't feel the sewing line. Also, you could use a trick from Sean Connery in a movie role, and wear them inside out. (because they're made inside out)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!