Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where Did Sissy Go?

I believe the anticipation began at 6:30 am when Sj popped up out of bed and said, "Today's the big day". Then by 10 am she was ready for lunch because I told her she would be going to school after lunch. Around 10:30 her shoes and backpack were on and she was pacing around the house.

Yesterday, was the big day for all of us. Sj started Kindergarten.

Although she doesn't quite grasp how monumental starting Kindergarten is, I certainly do. I could feel it as she was lining up with her new classmates and teacher. The tears welled up in my eyes, witnessing yet another first moment of her life. Appropriately enough Sj, waved goodbye and marched into school not turning back. Excited to take on the new adventure, we call Kindergarten.

The night before we went to the school to meet her teacher and check out her classroom. After about five minutes, I could see her searching for something. I asked her what she was looking for. "Toys", she said. We looked around together, but saw no toys. There were blocks and manipulatives, but no toys. No dress ups, no play kitchen, not a baby doll in sight. Her teacher told her they have toys, just not the kind she was looking for. It made me feel a bit sad inside that Kindergarten has become so business. So academic. No time for creative play. Gulp.

I know what our mornings will be full of, exploration, creative play, getting messy. Then she'll be off to learn to read, explore numbers, make new friendships.

Here's a photo of Sj and GL, shortly before leaving:One of the biggest transitions will be for GL. She's become her big sister's side kick. She woke from her nap and the first thing that came out of her mouth was, "Sissy". Immediately followed by the two palms up, "Sissy
Go?".

The entire family loaded up into the car to pick Sj up from the big day. I could see her looking into the sea of mothers for me. She was thrilled that Daddy also came for the pick up. Her first day was a success.

All I was left to ponder was, how can my first born be in Kindergarten already? I wonder how long it will take me to wrap my brain around this one. The passing of time just amazes me these days.

---

24 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I am crying.

    That is so wonderful that she had a great day. I don't know how I will ever be ready for my kids' first day of school.

    Why do they have to grow up so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! How exciting and sweet. I cannot believe our girls are starting this big adventure. Ms E starts the her big day after labor day and we are so excited and ready. I love Sj's outfit, hairstyle and backpack :) It still seems like yesterday when these two were baby playgroup buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a tough day, isn't it? I wish I could say it gets easier every year but it doesn't :(
    They look so cute together in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SOME backback. With 3 dimensional details even.

    You just made me think about something that I've never considered. Since my kids go to daycare, it never occurred to me that school would be any different. But there really is something kind of "point of no return" about Kindergarten... It's real school. Like the kind you go to Monday through Friday. Where sick notes are required and special consideration has to be made for time away from the classroom... And no toys. That's pretty heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard when the first one starts to school, but it's even harder when the last one starts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow hard to believe. I am so glad she had a great time, it'll be our turn soon enough. Love the outfit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on this big step! Hope it all goes smoothly. All of that seems like its still eons away for my little one. But I know its right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put my last little one into Kindergarten in two weeks. He had half day Pre-K last year, but this is all day, and ITS.MY.BABY.

    Oh my.

    I feel for you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww...she's going to love kindergarten. A did. And now he's so excited to start 2nd next week. I found out this morning who his teacher is and I'm absolutely over the moon. :) She's going to have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. I teared up. She's so darn cute all ready for school with her little adoring sister beside her. I can't get through your baby's first day of KG without crying. I'm lost when mine go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cried watching Ethan walk into his classroom the first day,too. It's goes so fast! So glad she had such a great first day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a little vaclempt, talk amongst yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you're killing me!

    Mine starts kindergarten next week (last year was pre-k). I am so not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my. The "Sissy Go?" about killed me. What a lovely sad/sweet shared moment in Sj's and your life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww! My first borne starts high school in 2 weeks. It feels like yesterday that she was anxious to head off to her first day of Kindergarten....

    Enjoy your mornings while you've got 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I have tears in my eyes just thinking about this!

    Time goes too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that picture is just too sweet.

    My oldest starts kindegarten in a few weeks and my 2nd will be starting 3K. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://anglophilefootballfanatic.comAugust 14, 2008 at 6:36 AM

    I'm terrified of losing mine to kindergarten. I understand how hard that was for you. Did you explain Sissy was coming back soon?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you guys started already? We don't go back until next Tuesday. But tonight is back to school night...the kids are so excited! Hope you guys had a fabulous summer...seems to have gone way too fast here as the weather is changing rapidly wouldn't you say? Better head to the hills one last time before the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know why it is that I am not getting your posts updated on my blogroll! How did I miss this one?? I will have to email you pictures of J & L's parting on J's first day of kindergarten. Your photo brings back memories.

    But you know, J's kindergarten has toys. They have a whole kitchen set-up and dolls and puppets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember just yesterday my baby was boarding the bus for Kindergarten and now she is entering *gulp* 5th grade!! My older gal is going to be in high school next year. I have been constantly wondering where the time has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! Kindergarten! Such a big day - glad it went well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an exciting day! (but I'm sure a bit sad for Mommy) Sounds like she had a great day though. That picture of the girls is precious. I LOVE their hair too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope she has a really cool teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!