Friday, September 26, 2008

Is It Goodbye, Summer?

Lately i've been hearing the subtle whispers of Autumn warning me it's just around the corner. On Monday after class, I noticed it was much darker than the past few weeks when arriving home. Nights have been cooler, in that wonderful where exactly did I put my flannel pajamas so we can snuggle kind of way. When perusing the racks of Anthropologie last weekend, I passed over short sleeve tops for a wool sweater. Maybe my favorite time of year is during the Autumnal change. I don't eagerly anticipate any other season through out the year, but Autumn I am ready and waiting. Ok, maybe I long for a really warm summer day come mid-April, but in my heart Autumn is my favorite. 

Mother Nature makes the transition much slower than my mind hopes. Yesterday we topped out at 91 degrees and today is proving to be just as warm. This weekend is Sj's 5th birthday party and of course we chose an indoor venue on a day when it's going to be 83 and sunny. If only I could predict.

Funny enough with all the changes, my garden is still going strong. Everyday I am graced with a fresh bowl of tomatoes that are continuing to vine ripen. I have the most perfect cucumber of the season still maturing at this very moment. Pumpkins and gourds are happily growing on leggy vines. And my friend, the zucchini plant, which I thought I would lose for sure to these critters or these creepy crawlies, but with the help of this device the little plant that could matured beyond my wildest dreams.

Right now, I have about three zucchinis maturing. Oh and I have two sitting in my vegetable bowl, keeping the tomatoes company. But luckily I am a huge fan of Food Network. Paula Deen has a fabulously moist recipe for zucchini bread. Once again Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread aromas will fill my kitchen. The smell of it baking is always a bit reminiscent of my traditional Fall batches of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (you must try them!!!). Delightful. Sometimes just for the fun of it I throw in Indian Garam Masala spice to mix things up and leave your taste buds with an, ooh that's wonderful feeling.

Off I go, it's Autumn and I have some serious baking to do!

9 comments:

  1. Autumn is my favorite season too. I love the crisp nights, back to school, Halloween, anticipating Thanksgiving, soups & stews, building a fire, etc., etc...

    You are making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the fall! I bought a couple sweaters a few weeks ago and I finally got to wear them when I was in Denver.

    I am looking for a great bread recipe....but I don't have any Zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, Pumpking Chocolate Chip Cookies! I'm going to have to make some of those this weekend, even if we do have slightly warmer weather.

    Any happy birthday to SJ!

    Connie - the blog Orangette has lots of yummy recipes for banana bread, if you want to do a quick bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to hate the season change (cause I love the lazy days of summer). But now I think I'm enjoying the season changes much better. I'm so excited for my first real world Autumn. (even though I'm taking one class..but it's more just fun, so it's okay...even though it's really important to my music stuff...it's just fun to be there)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate Chip Zucchini bread - interesting. You'll have to send me the recipe. We are having fall like weather this week. I LOVE the fall. It's my favorite for all the comfort foods and baking, plus I love Halloween and Thanksgiving. I baked the pumpkin chocolate chips today and I have Giada's recipe for pot roast in the oven cooking. Love those aromas this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love autumn but we don't really get one in Texas :(
    I just made some pumpkin chocolate chunk cookies last week--a lot like your recipe but a tad different ;)
    I'm making an apple pie this weekend--yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm salivating. I love zucchini bread. And, pumpkin choc chip cookies? WOW>

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always sad to see summer go, and at the same time, OH how I love fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband's stepmom makes fabulous pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that I've never been able to outdo. I'm going to have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!