Friday, September 12, 2008

A Lesson in Never Say Never

Have you ever noticed how sometimes little nudges in life come in waves? One day someone mentions something to you that you've never given much thought to, then someone else plants a seed, and before you know it everyone around you is talking about the same damn thing?

Enter Facebook.

So with a few nudges and encouragements, then some demands and convincing, I gave in. I wanted to see what it was all about. I previously thought that I didn't have interest in Facebook because I really don't give much thought to people that I went to high school with twenty years ago and I couldn't tell you all but a handful of people's full names that I went to college with. Granted there will always be that small core group of folks I wonder about, but for the most part, I thought nah, not for me.

But I joined. Do you know what I found out?

Facebook is for me. Facebook has been amazing in just this past week. I've connected with three girlfriends that I thought were out of my life forever. But now they are just a click away, even if they live in Honduras, Singapore, and California. Very happily I've touched base with an old friend that lives in New York City, it took but one electronic message to relive some of our former teenage antics, we were truly partners in crime. The tales we could tell. If only I had a blog when I rocked my Tretorns. It's mind blowing really.

So now I log on, I see a list of names and faces that aren't a part of my everyday life, but faces that once were a big part of my life. Faces that make me smile. I can drop a quick message and connect with any one of them in a matter of seconds. Time and distance are not an obstacle anymore.(This might just explain why my Google Reader has gotten a bit full lately, I haven't found much balance in my new internet pursuit. I'll be back my friends on reader!) Oh the internet, what would we do with out you?

Do you Facebook? Have any great stories to share?

For those of you with Flair, I created an EatPlayLove badge, you should check it out!

22 comments:

  1. I just started with Facebook and am still trying to figure everything out. I was a little amazed at the people Facebook found for me. It's a little freaky. I haven't decided who all I want to connect to at this point. Quite frankly, I'm a little worried that it will be another addictive "black hole" that my time is sucked into like Twitter. :-)

    I DO love the pieces of flair though! Part of my heart must still be in the 80s with the whole button craze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Facebook and so glad you joined. It has been reconnecting with high school friends/and college buddies. And I like how you can just type a quick note rather than email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Facebook too. My mother-in-law and some uncles are even on it. Its fun to message them.

    I haven't found as many of my old friends yet. I'm hoping they will join though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I've gotten in touch with several long lost friends. I even wrote a post about it right around the time I joined All Mediocre: http://www.thebigpieceofcake.com/2008/07/finally-embracing-facebook.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta check it out...kinda scares me:O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Facebook kind of freaks me out. I don't want to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have gotten lots of invites to join but my time is si freakin' short as it is--but I like the idea of catching up with old friends. Could be worth losing an hour or so of sleep--maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't taken the plunge, but I'm considering it. Then I would NEVER get my laundry folded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like facebook. I faught joinging for a long time and then finally gave in and I love it. I love being able to talk with people I lost contact with and I probably wouldn't be in such good contacts with other if not for facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE facebook! It's awesome. It's a nice way to keep in touch when you don't have the time to see them face to face. Plus, sharing photos of life is always good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE facebook! It's awesome. It's a nice way to keep in touch when you don't have the time to see them face to face. Plus, sharing photos of life is always good...

    ReplyDelete
  12. facebook is the time snatcher and I still haven't figured it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reconnecting with people. Facebook is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard people talking about facebook but had no clue what it was. You're the first person to describe it. And now I'm gonna have to go check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried Facebook, but then they started all that selling info and I deleted my account. I'm sure MySpace is just as bad, but you don't hear about that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw your comment on a blog post about big macs today and I had to come over and say hi to someone so witty! Then, I got here and I saw that great sock picture! I can tell you are a fantastically fun mom! I love facebook too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I joined MySpace to stay connected but it was way too difficult to navigate around. Facebook is much easier and I love that I've reconnected with several old friends. Plus, life is in a turmoil right now with moving 1000 miles away, and it's so easy to update everyone with one click rather than type out a big ol' email to everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I joined Facebook because my nephew wanted me to look at his page. The next thing I know I'm getting lots of friendship requests from people I haven't seen in ages!

    It's all good, no stalkers thus far and I've reconnected with some wonderful friends from way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Come see me. I have something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never thought I was a FB gal either until I signed up! It's been so nice to reconnect with old friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!