Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Tips- Don't Believe The HFCS Hype!!!

The other night, J and I were watching some television. Honestly I can't recall what was on, but a particular commercial left me feeling a tad bit irritated. Well, no that's being too mild, I was seriously pissed off. How dare the Corn Growers Association take us for fools? If you haven't seen their commercial, here's the first-


Seriously, High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) what's so bad about it, it's made from corn? What kind of fools do the marketers of this campaign take us for? I wouldn't stare like a deer in headlights or compliment my friend on her blouse, when she gave me some bullshit line about HFCS being natural. I'd lay down some facts for her!

I've written in the past about HFCS in a Tuesday Tips post on food additives to avoid. HFCS is in everything, go look at your ketchup label, breakfast cereal, granola bars, soda, bread, Stove Top Stuffing, fruit juice (if it's not 100%), Miracle Whip, crackers like Cheese Nips or Ritz, cottage cheese (Breakstone), and I could go on and on. Yep, it's in there. You'll be amazed at how many food products contain HFCS. But why is it bad, it's made from corn right? Probably, GMO, genetically modified corn to start with.

Fructose has to be metabolized through the liver, which means it's not easily processed by our bodies. Fructose is converted to a fat which in turn contributes to raised triglyceride levels in our bloodstream (oh, maybe Lipitor had their hands in this campaign). And to top it off, HFCS blocks the release of the hormone that tells our bodies we are full, which means you overeat when you drink soda or eat food products containing HFCS. Adding those extra pounds. Speaking of sweeteners, skip the artificial ones, they are chemicals and the word is still out on their safety.


I'll give you the facts, since HFCS has been a staple additive in everyday foods we consume obesity and diabetes are on the rise. Corn syrup is not NATURALLY occurring, it is a glucose which is chemically processed from corn starch. I suppose you could say anything is fine in moderation, why not offer your children a cigarette to go with it, I mean tobacco is found in nature right? For the record, Whole Foods store brand, 365 never contains HFCS, they do the leg work for us.

One of my all time favorite quotes is "If you not outraged, then you're not paying attention!" This marketing campaign would be my direct response to the ridiculousness of this $30 MILLION DOLLAR pro-HFCS ad campaign.

Don't buy it!

article highlighting the ad campaign deception!

26 comments:

  1. When my 13 year old daughter can gasp in disbelief at a commercial, I think it's safe to say, this campaign is outrageous!

    I'm convinced that my sister's food allergies, that came about after she turned 30, are due to the modified corn products found everywhere. It's incredibly hard to find anything without some form of corn in it...even medicines, like the Benadryl they say to take for an allergic reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really...everything in the world is natural if you just break it down far enough...

    That is crazy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good you're speaking out about this. Word of mouth is the only way to combat these million-dollar ad campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder politicians can get away with lying to the American public - advertisers do it all the time! This is one of the main reasons I love my DVD - I don't have to watch commericals. The problem is, the TV isn't the only place you have to worry about.

    Thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go get 'em girl! I am a huge opponet to HFCS and have been for years. Keep up the Tuesdays Tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with ya! My girls have been reading packages for HFCS and red dye #40 since they were babies...it's killing our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this commercial last night, and stared in disbelief.

    Thanks for highlighting how absolutely ludicrous this is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. does this corn cob make my butt look big?

    and not to mention diabetes! If you are processing that much fructose on a daily basis what the hell is it doing to your pancreas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my god... seriously? wow. that is some commercial.

    you are a smart girl. thank you for always sharing your brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I can't watch them right now as I'm at work...but I can't believe they are seriously saying that it's a good think. That's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arsenic is natural too--maybe we should start adding that. it might be healthier :0

    HFCS is one of the things that has banned in this house since I had my first child. it is just poison.
    I really thought they would step away from HFCS because of its effects and more importantly to use the corn for ethanol (more money). Guess not.


    Thanks for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this wonderful post. Now we just need to pass it on, and on, and on......I'm frightened to think of how many people might be buying this spin. I cannot believe how difficult it is to find things WITHOUT HFCS and the surprising things that it shows up in. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and totally agree with you. That is why food in our house is a big investment and always carefully thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes! I hadn't seen these, yet. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't seen those commercials. Good grief. Pretty pathetic. Unfortunately people will believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen the ad on TV, but I'm very interested in this now. My in-laws own farm land, and the incentives the gov't is currently offering for farmers combined with the higher demand for corn products has caused corn prices to shoot through the roof. What we see in the market in terms of higher grocery prices is nothing compared to the cash some of these farmers are reaping.

    I've even seen HFCS in baby formula. BABY FORMULA for pete's sake. It's disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People are just nuts. HFCS is nasty, nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen those...they are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was absolutely amazed and appalled when I saw these spots. To underestimate the general public to such a degree was amazing to me, I have been a huge opponent of HFCS and am so grateful for you post on it. Thank you,
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent post! I was SHOCKED when I saw that commercial. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you already know my view point on the matter. It's just totally insane

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great information! Thanks you so much for writing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two days ago, I went through the pantry and fridge throwing out everything with HFCS.

    I had the hardest time finding bread that didn't contain it.

    Thanks for the info on the commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! Thanks for posting this! I am going to show this to my DH. We have been eating clean for about a month and can see a difference in the entire family even the girls behavior has improved. Well except the whining still waiting for that miracle cure.

    By the way LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. May I please say HOLY SHIT in your comments section? Thanks. I hadn't seen these commercials either but I imagine when/if I do, I'll repeat what I just said.

    The tone, too, is so freaking condescending. Wow.

    Thank you for helping spread the word.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!