Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Tips: Don't Sacrifice Values For a Healthy Glow

When I walked through the door of the new Origins Cherry Creek North in Denver, my initial feeling was refreshing. Rarely has the feeling of refreshing entered my mind while shopping, but clearly change was in the air. Once again, Origins was pushing the boundaries of what a retail experience means. A new Origins green concept store in Denver was undoubtedly driven by experience and with such care and attention to detail, delightful emotions were bound to unfurl.

My body's initial reaction was to rest for a moment shortly after entering the store and to become grounded in what I was about to experience. The aromatherapy was light and intriguing. My nose cued my eyes to scan the store, wondering where this journey would first take me. Of course I was drawn to the Cafe in the center of an Origins skin care store. The Cafe is a partnership between Boulder born Pekoe Sip House and Origins. Honestly I couldn't of dreamt of a more perfect partnership, although my love for tea may leave me a bit biased.

Unfortunately it disturbs me to admit, for years i've been searching for skin care products that work for my sensitive skin and align with my personal philosophies. Most of the time, my values had to be abandoned when purchasing skin care products. I turned a blind eye to ingredients such as mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, parabens, DEA, or animal ingredients. Sadly enough, I have a closet chock full of products that didn't stand the test on my body for longer than two weeks. After that short period of time, my body was screaming for no more, most appropriately with a break out of teenage proportions or burning and redness that was just not normal. Money wasted.


Finally, Origins number was up. It was time to explore skin care products that do align with my personal philosophies on the environment and natural derived ingredients.

After sipping on some House Matcha Green Tea, I wandered through out the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certified store. My skin soaked up the made for Denver High-Elevation Hydration Cream (for face and body). Being active and living a mile above sea level in a dry climate, endless has been my search for a product to keep my skin hydrated. The essential oils in the cream, provide a mild joyful aroma in which I am always seeking. There clearly is no substitute for the power and purity that is found in essential oils. My husband commented on the cream as well, the scent is gender neutral, so J didn't hesitate in the least bit to give it a try. It's only been a week since I have been faithfully using the cream, but the dry patches on my elbows have already become a distant memory.

I left the Origins Concept store with products for my face as well. An Organic Purifying Tonic, A Perfect World Cleanser with White Tea, and a Dr. Andrew Weil Plantidote Mega-Mushroom Face Serum.

What's the real reaction, my body's take on my newest installment of the chase to find the perfect products? A glow. My skin reflects that I drink water all day to nourish my body from the inside out, now complimented by the products I am using to cleanse and moisturize simply is a wonderful balance.

Honestly, all I have ever wanted was a healthy glow. Thanks to Origins, I think I have finally gotten skin care right.

22 comments:

  1. Ok I am sold...I have always loved Origins perfume the ginger one...and have tried many of their products throughout the years...and like you have tried everything under the sun to control my problematic skin..and now living in a dryer climate I may have to run down to the new origins store and p/u some new products and this would be perfect timing as i am running out of facial stuff:) thanks I always love your tuesday posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing. I will definitely make the trek down to Cherry Creek to check this out. I am in need of a new body cream and that sounds like a perfect new product to try. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you have found somewhere that fits not only in with your skin but your beliefs. I have used there products many times and i love them. they are the whole foods of beauty products!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The store sounds great. We have quite a few of them out here and when I see one I always go in. I always think investing in one's hair and skin is ESSENTIAL. I love their shampoos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome Origins is environmentally responsible through and through--I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that is such a great representation of their products and philosophy. The next time I am in the market, those Dr. Weil products are going to make the cut. Love,K

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Origins too :)
    My favorite is the Modern Friction and Drink It Up face mask.
    Sounds like a fun store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wait. you're glowing? I want to glow too! I am going to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to be devoted to Aveda (and still use their mascara) but I've never tried Origins. I actually do have a new line of skincare products that I've been using since May. I was actually planning on making them the subject of one of my Friday Confessions (probably next week) since they are a little embarassing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm......I LOVE Origins. I wish we had a wonderful store like the one your described. Ours are all little niches inside Macy's department stores. Still a nice oasis, but a store devoted to Origins? Heaven.

    I can see your glow from the Midwest....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I may want to live in that store!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol "Ode to Origins"
    I have the worst skin ever. I may need to make the 8 hour drive to Denver. See how hardcore we Coloradans are? hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to check it out. I can always use some new products...especially if it environmentally kind. KDV

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kind of kicking myself I didn't follow-up on this one. I received an invite to their open house but they failed to say what the heck the store even was. Missed opportunity (as I sit here with my mottled skin....)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've talked me into it. There's a new Origins off 144th & I-25 in the Orchard area. I'm going to go in next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just standing outside of that store on Saturday. I didn't want to force my hubby into a 'girly' store since he had such an adverse reaction to Sephora!

    I wish I had known how special it was...I would have forced him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds lovely! I work in the neighborhood, so I've got to head on down there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have been desperately searching for a bronzer/moisturizer that doesn't contain parabens. Maybe at Origins.

    ReplyDelete
  19. anglophilefootballfanatic.comSeptember 24, 2008 at 9:04 PM

    That's wonderful. It's tough to find good skin care, although I like Origins. I could kill for a good cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  20. DO they have an online site? I like the sound of that moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where are they? How are the prices? And when are you and I going back? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. My skin usually isn't picky - but with pregnancy (and the elevated hormones during breastfeeding, soon to come!) I know that I need something a little gentler that is safe to use. This post is perfect timing! Thanks so much for writing about this.

    There's a store in our local mall, but I've never ventured in -- it looked sort of intimidating and expensive; but for a quality product, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!