Wednesday, September 3, 2008

When Generosity Makes a Mother Cringe...


A local Wild Oats market recently made the conversion to Whole Foods and with each and every visit I've noticed how they are desperately trying to change the feeling of the store. Personally when it was Wild Oats, it wasn't my favorite place to shop, but I've warmed up to the store since it changed it's name on the stone building out front. Their efforts are making a difference.

Maybe I was underslept and in a fog, when I allowed my girls to ride in the "car cart" at Whole Foods this past weekend. Or maybe I was just hoping for a little break from my girls tactics, one usually pulling me in the opposite direction from the other, when I just have a short list. I wanted to get in and out, buy the things on my list, easy peasy.

Yeah, easy peasy.

When I placed GL into the car cart, her eyes lit up with amazement. She was smiling and pawing every corner of the car in delight. I believe this may have been the first time she experienced the car cart. You see, I have issues with those car carts. Whenever I look at them, I see the millions of INVISIBLE GERMS, and I can't quite let go of all the germs they will be ingesting. Not to mention the lovely black crud that has build up on the interior of every touchable surface, that's rather lovely and doesn't help my neurosis!!! None the less, I was trying desperately to let it go, so the girls could have fun.

First stop on our excursion, the produce department. A lovely employee bends his head down to greet my girls, wishing them a good morning. They smile back delighted to just be in the Germ Fest Car. Then, out of no where, the employee asks my girls if they like pineapple. Sj immediately quips, of course I LOVE PINEAPPLE. I thought Mr.Produce was going to get a sharp pointy tooth pick, poke a hunk of pineapple and hand it to my girls. That I could deal with.

No, Mr.Produce was much kinder than that. Much kinder than my neurotic self wishes.

For, Mr.Produce reappeared from behind the swinging metal doors with two plastic containers full of pineapple, cut up into chunks. He hands it over to my girls and even has two paper towels to boot, for their laps. I can guarantee you there was no less than $10 worth of pineapple between the two of them.

Thank you Mr. Produce for the girls were truly in heaven, smiling through their whole shopping trip.

And me, I was screaming on the inside when I would watch GL steer the car, open the door, wipe every possible surface before placing her unwashed hand into the tub of pineapple and of course into her mouth. Screaming on the inside.

If Mr.Produce only knew what mental anguish I suffered from his generosity. We were definitely in and out, quicker than I had imagined, but maybe it was because I was concerned with washing my daughter's hands as soon as possible. I even made an impulse $5 Organic Handsanitizer purchase at check out, very unlike me.

Time to let go. Maybe Mr.Produce helped me just a tad, even though I didn't do so lightly. Motherhood definitely a work in progress.

---photo google images---

19 comments:

  1. I could have written this post a hundred times over; I get my kids' hands before we walk in the store and then wipe off the cart with sanitizer wipes they offer by the door--oh and I always try to get a car cart in the sun because sunlight kills germs--I am insane or what?
    But I must say I love the generosity of WF. I cannot begin to tell you the free stuff ie samples the kids have gotten (everything from birthday cakes to bacon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny. I'd be upset about all the germs, but grateful to have my kids somewhat content so I can get in/out of the store more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I call customer service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I have really serious germ issues, and I promise, you reacted better than I would have, lots better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be my kindred spirit. I can't stand those carts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My issues with those carts center more around some near decapitation incidents - but your germ fears made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you believe I have never heard of the car cart? Kiddos would love it...Mommy, not so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That makes me gag a little just thinking about it. But wow! What a nice produce man!

    I am always thinking about germs (ugh, sandbox! Dirty!) too but I think I've been easing up just a bit lately. I hope so anyway.

    When I was growing up people didn't think nearly as much about germs and such as they do now and we all turned out fine. At least that is what I keep telling myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!! I'm feeling kind of sickly all of a sudden....I think I need to wash my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahah Mr. Produce needs the help of Mr. Clean in this instance. I laughed out loud reading "Screaming on the inside." He hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both E's love those car carts and I must say I have placed them in there with their treats/drinks. I used to be neurotic about the cart with Ms. E when she was a baby, now I just let it go. There was a study done recently (can't remember where I read it), but the place with the most germs was the ATM buttons and cell phones. I don't know if that gives you a sense of relief or causes more stress! And like one of your bloggers up above stated, we all survived; right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would have killed me. Killed. Me. Dead. You did so well. My kids adore the car carts. I wipe the whole car down with bleach wipes before they get in and I practically dunk them in that antisceptic hand stuff before their free cookie in the bakery.

    Seriously, you were a pillar of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad Bunny is still scared of the car carts. Otherwise I would be like anymommy and have to douse the whole thing in sanitizer.

    But on the brightside free pineapple does keep the kiddos quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fortitude! I don't think I would have made it. I would have broken J's heart by either telling her she couldn't eat the pineapple while in the cart or that she couldn't be in the car part. It wouldn't have ended well, had it been me.

    I'm so relieved to hear that I'm not the only germaphobe mom who despises those car carts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice produce man.

    And, I should be a little more paranoid about the whole germ issue. I do carry some lovely pomegranate scented sanitizing foam stuff from Bath & Body Works in my purse though, so I feel like I am doing my part :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm a total germ-a-phobic too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny. I've really mellowed out about germs. But I totally understand your angst!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, very generous produce man!! But yeah, ewww.

    I kinda feel bad that S has never once been to a McD's playland, but when R was in preschool we went there 1x a week after school. She stepped in some kids pee and came out with both socks soaked. NEVER been back (and much healthier all around for it)

    Wish we had a Whole Foods closer than 30 miles/1 hour of traffic...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice gesture, but I can imagine the cringing you must have endured. Did the girls get baths when they got home to wash away all the germs?

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!