Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Your Manners Are Quite Rude...

The other night, I left class wandering back through groups of students on cell phones or distracted by their iPods to my car. I always seem to carry my gaze low to the ground, but occasionally smile at someone walking towards me. It's a bit of a walk to my car, as I choose to park for free in a neighborhood directly adjacent to the University Business section aka, "The Hill". It was starting to get dark and an old burrito place caught my eye as I was just about to walk on by. Illegal Pete's, home to deliciously cheap burritos that I haven't indulged in, in about two years. Two years.

I walked through the door to find no wait, a blessing for Illegal Pete's. The air was warm and the smell was reminiscent of my last visit, is it possible to have aroma memory? The guy behind the counter, smiled at me and said, "What can I get you, Ma'am?"

Bean and cheese burrito rolled off my tongue, as if it had only been a week since my last visit. Then my thoughts quickly reacted to the Ma'am in his statement. Yes, he's doing his job of being nice, having manners, but Ma'am!!! Ma'am. I always feel so old when someone calls me Ma'am and I typically speak up like, seriously Ma'am? I know, I'm not eighteen or twenty one, I'm not a cute college girl out for a burrito after class. I am a mom, a hungry mom. Delighting in one of her favorite past times, a ginourmous burrito. Thank goodness my jacket was buttoned shut because when I got home my hubby pointed out I still was wearing my name tag from class.

Just when life seems to be a little too stable I have to go throw a big pothole in the road ahead of me. What an experience this one class has turned out to be...

19 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. Oh, do I know how you feel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I gave up on miss and embraced ma'am long ago. But I still feel funny referring to my friends as "women". I think I'll be 80 and still calling them "girls."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ma'am" smacks me right between the eyes every time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you think that's bad? Be glad you don't live in the deep south, its either Ma'am, Honey or Sugar. At least you'd be graduated from "Little Darlin'."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I feel about ma'am, but I'm with Kate on "women" vs. "girls". I call myself a girl. Woman just sounds so...I dunno, grown up.
    And yes, scent memory is VERY strong and really neat. I love how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate Ma'am! A guy at a pizza place was going to card me the other day until I stood up from our booth to walk over to the guy and after seeing my face...no longer needed my ID.

    HEY! I just saw that Denver is getting an IKEA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the first time i became a ma'am i was 20 and it was on an airbase. anyone over the age of 15 i am pretty sure was declared a ma'am. I laughed and laughed and then felt mature (ahem). i had my own moment last weekend when i stated my age someone said "i thought you were older than that." I am ignoring the gray hair and am figuring it has to do with the two kids swarming me and the big belly. it was amusing to say the least, because I am still a spring chicken damn it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But I practically kiss anyone who cards me in the liquor store. Bonus tongue action if my kids are with me. ;)
    Yes, I'm giddy today...something about an IKEA... Wheeeee!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooohh, IKEA in Denver. VERY COOL!! Love that store. As for ma'am, yes I hate that too. But at least it's better than rude service, right? The only times I get carded (which is RARELY) is when I'm dolled up and out with the girls. Of course the last time that happened I think the bartender was working on his tip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate the "Ma'am" too. The other day at the grocery, I bought some beer. The checkout clerk kept calling me "Ma'am" and, for the first time in my life, didn't ask to see ID.

    I'm officially old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel...I'm 26 and work at a college and I get "ma'am" at least once a day. It's either "ma'am" or "are you a student here?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. sadly I may have offended many a women referring to them as ma'am. It was how we were brought up, Yes Ma'am. Yes Sir. responses. I was never allowed to call adults by their first name. When we lived in the south it worked well but up here in Ohio where all these kids call me Heather......

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I love being called ma'am. People always tell me I don't look old enough to be a mother... and I'm three years away from 40! I like being taken seriously once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They say (I don't know who...but someone)that smell memory is the strongest memory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess it's because this is Texas--my 10 year old is called m'am...so I it doesn't get to me until I saw this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that would get to me too... I generally look younger than I actually am, and so get carded quite frequently. Then the other day, I *wasn't* carded even though the girl in front of me was, and I was all, "Noooooooo! Card me! Please! Pretend I don't look 21 yet!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely HATE being called Ma'am. It is an insult and I tend to get a bit unhinged at that comment.

    To this day, I refuse to allow one check out boy to carry groceries because even after telling him a million times not to do it, he still calls me that nasty four-letter word! He does it to be mean.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think it is insulting, I think it is a sign of respect but it does make me feel old. Every time....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I hate being called ma'am. It always happens when I'm in sweats and feeling all grungy, so it just adds to the whole old and unnattractive feeling.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!