Thursday, October 16, 2008

Funny How That Happens, Five Years Later

The passing of the last five years has almost completely gone in a blink of an eye. Obviously there were the moments that felt like they lasted forever (hello newborn phase!), but for the most part I am still in awe that my oldest daughter is five. Long ago, I would measure time by school years, throwing in the oh, that was in "fill in the blank" grade when that happened. But now I happily measure time by the milestones in my daughters lives. Funny how that happens.

The other day I was packing my suitcase for a trip I am taking this weekend and it hit me, this was the first time in five years I was packing my suitcase just for myself. It was five years ago and a couple of weeks when I first packed a suitcase with little itty bitty newborn baby clothes in my hospital suitcase mixed with my comfy post-partum leave the hospital clothes, some fresh socks, toiletries, and my favorite music. Over the years it slowly turned into diapers, toys, books, way too many pink outfits, oh and is there room for any of my things in this suitcase? Funny how that happens.

Hesitant excitement fills my mood tonight, before I step on a plane and wave goodbye to my hubby and two girls. Five years have passed and I am taking the leap with a dear friend, to have a weekend all to our grown up selves. We shopped together picking out clothes for fun fancy dinners. The kind of dinners I only dream of with out children picking off our plates or our purses full of distractions to just get through the quickest snarfing of food, so we can get out of the place before meltdowns ensue. I envision leisurely dinners this weekend where the wait staff gives us the stink eye, wondering if the damn party of three in the corner is ever going to leave. Probably not, for we will be on no one's clock but our own. Funny how that happens.

It's amazing, to not feel one moment of regret for the last five years of spending so much wonderful time with my girls. Coupled with not one moment of regret that the girls can spend the weekend with their daddy. Their daddy that they just adore so much, he'll be theirs until Monday afternoon. Considering it was just this week, that my 22 month old pulled on J's leg while he was getting dressed for work, looked up at him and said, "Don't leave Daddy". What a milestone. How precious are all the moments really. I'm glad J is going to be creating some with the girls. And I am thrilled I am going to be creating some new memories with old dear friends, friends that I am so happy to share my life with. Funny how that happens.

Five Years ago, October 2003

Fast forward, October 2008

(On a side note, I may try my hand at mobile blogging, but I make no promises, there sure will be plenty to write when I am back!)

15 comments:

  1. That is such a neat reflection but seriously I would love to pack for just me--have a great time (and let me know how mobile blogging goes, I never seem to have the patience for it!)

    I love the last pic too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time! I will be thinking of you often this weekend and imagining all of the fun things you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time! You deserve it and take your time to savor every moment with your friends. Your girls will have so much fun with just J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a fabulous trip. Enjoy your you time. Can't wait to hear your adventures. KDV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time you certainly deserve it, and when the servers give you the stink eye just order another bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun and enjoy! I went out to dinner with two friends last night and our laughing got the stink eye from many and we just laughed some more!!! Enjoy, rest, and thank you for a most meaningful post!
    G

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny you write this--I'm going away for the weekend, too, with a friend, and I feel guilty/worried about leaving the boys. Your post made me realize I need to just relax and enjoy this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to her....and have fun on your trip! Oh how exciting, I hope you have a FABULOUS time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a fantastic time can't wait to hear all about it

    ReplyDelete
  10. are you having fun??? do you miss me yet??? just so you know, sj looked cute today, i guess dad knows how to do hair. i'll let you know how she looks tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't write! Enjoy your time off completely. We'll all be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun! My weekends away have done nothing but make me a better mommy, so enjoy! Sleep late, eat whatever you want, make some serious memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how things change.
    What a lovely post. :)

    Have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post! Great reminder of how quickly time flies! Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sniffle. Have a fabulous time. Enjoy every minute, it will fly by (funny how that happens ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!