Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Girl That Could Save The Princess

Have you ever thought about quirky things from your childhood, that no one knows about you? For some strange reason, I love reminiscing about my mastery of a particular video game way back in 1985.

Hours upon hours escaped me during my impressionable adolescence playing the brilliant game, Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo. I clearly remember skipping meals because I was on the cusp of saving the Princess, I could taste it. Nothing, I mean nothing could pry me away from the machine. How are kids getting fat playing video games these days, they must not be of the completely mesmerizing variety, I mean who would actually stop to eat?

Funny enough my family didn't even own a Super Nintendo, my neighbors did. So apparently they had no qualms with me living in their basement morning, noon, and night, fondling their controllers.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of being successful at Super Mario Brothers, the best selling video game of all time. Of knowing which tunnel to duck into, which hammer throwing duck to run past, and which dragon can be killed in an instant. Or where the secret shortcuts were, to skip ahead, getting closer to the big finish. Blood pumping, thumbs jamming, heart stomping, fun.

I hear the first three notes of the Super Mario Brother's theme song and I am taken back decades. Taken back to a time that I never want to escape me.

Here's someone perfecting the art in five minutes,I don't think I could claim that honor, even in my hayday:

18 comments:

  1. That is so funny!

    There is a short guy with a 'stash in my spin class and he looks just like Super Mario so I am always humming that song ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was the same way! My sister and I used to sneak downstairs after our parents went to bed and play with the sound off until dawn. My Chickies discovered one at Nana's house so whenever we go there, we don't see them for two days. Obsess much? Ah, childhood!

    I had to come over and visit after I saw your comment at Tootsie's place. I'm a Front Ranger, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, this really brings back memories!! I used to babysit these two little boys down my street and they had this game. I became seriously addicted to wanting to advance to each level, so I would hog the joystick from them! LOL! We never had the luxury of video games in our household either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way! That was crazy. I played Frogger 24/7 for about a year. I can still hear the "splat" in my nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was awful at video games--still am. I admire people with such good hand/eye coordination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! I love that game, but I never had it. I never had too many chances to play it, but I loved it when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i remember the manny playing it and the music. I think he was about five. I am no good at video games, no patience and no hand eye coordination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only video game I ever loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While you were obviously never my babysitter, because we were really just high school friends...

    If you were my babysitter, I'd have similar fond memories playing SMB with you well past our bedtime, and rushing to bed as soon as we saw the headlights of our parents car pull into the driveway.

    They didn't exist, but man, those were the days!!

    : )

    mIe

    ReplyDelete
  10. purchase a wii and relive the magic...the tennis is so addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Now I've got that song stuck in my head!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang! I should not have played that video cuz now I want to play so badly! I used to LOVE that game. I think my best friend used to get sick of having me sleep over because I would beg to play it the entire time.
    So good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just made me feel really, really old. Atari 2600, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was so cool to watch! It does bring back memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, LOVED that! I was never that good, but between this game and Zelda I don't know how I ever finished my homework!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super Mario Bros. heh. Me too! Except I was at my boyfriends house and ditching school.

    ReplyDelete
  17. frogger was my game. wait, is that what it was called?

    packman gave me anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adored Break Out. I am so. very. old.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!