Saturday, October 18, 2008

Notes From THE City

Growing up, New York City was always referred to as "THE city". Before my departure in conversation I would just casually mention how I was off to "the city" this weekend. Now that I think of it, some of my friends in Colorado probably were like, huh the city? 

Delightfully enough, the city has been wonderful, the west village is incredibly quaint and charming. I've fallen right into the culture, with my swift pace on the street, dinners after 9 pm, and plenty of window shopping. With not being on a tight schedule, just being free to meander through the streets, we've happened upon wonderful spots. Yesterday I quite randomly found a mini pair of Tretorns to match my pair for Sj. How stinking cute is that?

Although I have yet to set my eyes on Balthazar, we've managed to find some wonderful culinary gems. Today Balthazar is in the cards for me. Last night, we had fish and chips, from A Salt and Battery which was once featured on Bobby Flay's Throwdown. Although, no details here as food will have it's own post after my return to Colorado. (oh and for one friend of mine, I did follow the fish and chips up with Minstrels from the cute British Shoppe next door)

I must share one more quick tale. Even though millions of people call New York City home, as I was walking down the street yesterday, I saw a familiar face. I caught a glimpse of a beautiful mother and her two girls crossing the street. Turns out that mother was none other than, Mama Bird Diaries. I love that I am in Manhattan, but I can say what a small world. Amazing. 

Now I am off to get my serious shop on...

12 comments:

  1. Mario Batali's Babbo in the village is EXCELLENT!!! He also has a pizza place in the village called Otto, Enoteca Pizzeria. I'm sure you're going to have your fill of great NYC food. The shopping is amazing there. I'm so glad you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun to run into you!! So glad you are enjoying "the city." Look forward to having coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morandi, Vento, Spice Market, Pastis and Fig and Olive are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you are having fun! My husband has been to THE city but not me--he said it is beyond awesome :)

    So funny you saw a fellow blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the world is so vast and yet when you need to see a friend or familiar face, they appear. Sounds like a great time in the city!!!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only been once, and all I remember from that trip is the Serendipity cafe and hustling through Chinatown behind my long-legged companion, hauling my weekend bag... :)

    I'll have to try again someday, but at heart, I'm not really a city girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun, fun, fun! I am living vicariously through your fish and chips - one of my very favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I can't wait to hear about your shopping adventures! I can't believe you saw someone you knew in the city! CRAZY! I am going to go look at her blog right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to college in New York and met my best friend there. She's from New Jersey - and we always joke about how NYC is "the city." What a fun trip - can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you are having a great time. Does the purchase of more mean you have devoured the big bag i gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you are having a great time. Does the purchase of more mean you have devoured the big bag i gave you!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!