Thursday, October 23, 2008

Repressing Granolaville To Fit In The West Village

Packing my bags for NYC, I left most signs of Granolaville (that's what my host in NYC calls where I live in Colorado, it's not that far off in all honesty) behind me. I valiantly attempted to leave my fleece jackets, stainless steel water bottles, and synthetic layers back home in my closet. Instead I planned outfits I thought would be most appropriate for hitting the streets of the West Village. 

After our arrival to the West Village on the lower side of Manhattan, our host informed us that we had a 9:30pm dinner reservation. Aah, was that announcement echoed with laughter, for KS and I are usually in bed by that time or definitely in our comfy cozies for the night. But we were game. We were taking this, on vacation living it up, thing very happily in stride. That same evening turned out to be the biggest night for us. The city was permeating our beings and we were definitely ready to hob knob until the wee hours of the morning. 

The beauty of the days following was not having an agenda, but rather thoughts and ideas of how to spend the day. One day we found ourselves taking the subway to Brooklyn, so I could experience Williamsburg, the hipster scene, and catch up with some friends. For those of you that don't know, Brooklyn is about a 20 minute subway ride from the West Village, but if you live in the West Village the trip mentally feels like hours away. Talk about location, location, location. One of my biggest lessons learned is that those West Villagers certainly covet their location. 

Now don't get me wrong, it took me about 5 minutes to understand why the West Village is so coveted. It's full of beautiful brownstone buildings (think Carrie Bradshaw's apartment on SATC, which was literally across the street from where I stayed). The neighborhoods feel calm and serene, the honking is almost non-existent, and most tourists have other places on their must do list. Well except for the Magnolia Bakery, where you can literally find tourists spilling out onto the street, guidebooks in hand, cupcake in another with a camera lens capturing the moment. For those of you that enjoy feeling like insiders, most West Villagers snub their nose at Magnolia and prefer the cupcakes at Billy's Bakery (more details to follow on those two bakeries!). 

One day, just strolling down the block to meet my local friend for coffee, I was caught in paparazzi cross fire. Before I know it, five men are on the ground hiding under cars, large lenses in hand, to snap a shot. I was like, WHO IS IT??? It took a moment, but within seconds, Uma Thurman was having a conversation with her boyfriend Arki literally steps behind us. Photos here or I am sure in this week's edition of the Celebrity Gossip Magazines. I can see why celebrities chose to call the West Village home, they walk through the streets (with the exception of paparazzi moments) like everyone else, with no one going out of their way to bother them. 

I did pinky swear to my host, that he would have to crawl into a cave and die if I saw Sarah Jessica Parker out walking her dog, because I would have to stop her and ask for a photo. But it didn't happen, maybe next time.

As I sit writing, I am back in my comfy cozies, back in Granolaville. My thoughts longingly are brought back to just a few days ago, when the energy of New York City was coursing through my veins. When I lived rather absurdly carefree embracing the moments like a true local. I created the most wonderful new memories, with friends that have been in my life for decades. A smile graces my face when I think of our belly filling laughter that we couldn't escape, a laughter that made my trip complete. A laughter that hugged my soul. 

12 comments:

  1. I am so happy the trip fed your soul with laughter and joy--the best food of all--even better than cupcakes ;)

    So they call Colorado Granolaville--what do they say about Texas (even though we do the Neiman Marcus flagship ;) ) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure this isn't the picture of Uma and Arki? This picture is the perfect metaphor for the trip. My fleece is feeling like heaven. Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recap. And now I want to go to NYC for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arki was staring across the street at you wasn't he?

    What fun! I can't wait to go back to NYC! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are smart to have left the fleece jackets and synthetic layers behind. But here in the fabulous west village, we always embrace the reusable water bottles!

    So glad you got your big celeb sighting. If you had bumped in SJP, I think I would have been seriously depressed. 5 years down here and I can't get a glimpse of that girl.

    New York City misses you already!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute photo, and how fun to have a celebrity sighting. When S and I did the "village" this past summer, we loved the fact that it was so quiet. Maybe you can make this a yearly trip to visit your friend. What fun memories for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I'm jealous. I've been craving a trip to New York like one craves a huge slice of chocolate cake....

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't wait to read more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you had a good time! Isn't it nice to go somewhere completely different for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well your fabulous new purse is stylish anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so I am waiting patiently for your review of Magnolia Bakery...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!