Saturday, October 11, 2008

She's Crafty To Boot...


Months and months ago, I picked up a beautiful remnant of a vintage floral print at a thrift store for $2.00. From the shape of it, I have concluded that it's former life was fancying up one's table. The fabric left me inspired to make something with it, to give it a new life. After many searches on the web, I was unable to locate a free how-to pattern for a purse that I really dug. But there are tons out there, so many creative people just sharing their ideas. During my hunt for the perfect purse pattern, I found Amy Butler designs. Oh they are so delightful.

After coming to the conclusion that I would have to pay for a pattern, I decided on the Birdie Sling. I found a hip fabric shop, Fancy Tiger, in Denver and took a little drive on a Sunday afternoon and picked up the pattern. I also purchased the liner material (white background with the animals, flowers, and trees) at the shop. It's a precious little gem in the world of generic chain craft stores, toting blah fabrics!

Then the pattern and materials sat around my house for almost two months. I had taken out the pattern right away, eager to get started. But I was a bit intimated by it, by the lingo, by the process. I don't really know how to sew, I just know how to pretend to sew. Repair things, yes. Create something from a pattern, not so much.

Finally, I found the courage and time, to sit down and really give it a shot. A few hours last night and about five hours today and I have a new beautiful purse. What's even better is that it's made from recycled material! I am so proud of it, I still can't believe I did it...And now for the final reveal:

27 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Congrats. You absolutely should be proud of yourself. Nice job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You go with your crafty self!! kdv

    ReplyDelete
  3. This purse is So beautiful! I love it! I hope you enjoy your original, creative, and recylcled work of art : )!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You little Martha Stewart you :)

    That is fantastic and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! Great sewing job! I'm impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Great fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Everyone is getting crafty with it ;) I have actually been on another blog recently that linked to the birdie sling pattern. Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute! Love the fabric! I am itching to start a new project but I am making myself wait until after Christmas.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh super cute!! I am going to take a sewing class in a few months...and like you I have a project sitting around (Grace's Tutu for her 1st bday) and have been putting it off to do in case I just ruin it!! I need to get crakin' on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you sure you wanted to open that can of worms? Because now the next question is how do i place an order for one? You better ger your sewing studio organized in order to see some major action. Congrats! It is beautiful. Keri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I want one! My sewing skills are truly frightening. I remember some sort of incident in 8th grade Home Ec when I was supposed to be crafting an apron. I don't think I've tried anything since. I have a project on the table for making a tote from an old pillowcase, but I've been afraid to start. You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. I can't believe you made that. GHD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gasp! I love it! I wish I could sew...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. That's awesome. I could never do that in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would sooo totally buy that purse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute. have i mentioned my latchhook skills??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute--I love the fabric. Sewing is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful!

    Don't you just love the Fancy Tiger? I got the loveliest yarn there that I've been holding onto, waiting for a project worthy of its beauty to emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow.

    never ever in my wildest dreams could I make that, Woman.

    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. gretchen from lifenut/mhmOctober 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM

    Love it! I bet you get a ton of compliments when you are out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job!! I'm addicted to recycled sewing these days...

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!