Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sorry Wait Staff, I Tend To Be Difficult...

Have you ever met a finicky beverage drinker? Let's just say you have now. For me, it can never just be a plain old anything. "I'll have a coke". Nah. Not me. I'm the half and half drinker. All of my favorite beverages contain 1/2 of one drink and 1/2 of another.

First and foremost, the Arnold Palmer. 1/2 iced tea and 1/2 lemonade. One of the best beverages on the planet. Only problem, it has to be freshly made ingredients. If the waitress walks up with an Arnold Palmer made with Pink Lemonade, I just cringe inside. Or if they make it with pre-sweetened tea, it's just appalling. I've learned most of the ins and outs of where to order an Arnold Palmer from experience.Trust me, it's hit or miss in the Arnold Palmer department.

Then, there's the Shandy. Now the Shandy has many variations. It's most well known for being 1/2 ale (preferably Bass) and 1/2 lemonade, although I order it with Sprite. A good pal in jolly ol' England turned me onto this tasty treat. It's right up my alley, confusing to the wait staff and tasty going down.

Interesting enough, in Germany the Shandy or Radler started in the 1920's when a pub owner started to run out of beer, after 13,000 cyclists frequented his establishment. He began filling the beer glasses with 1/2 lemonade to extend the beer and told the cyclists it was to keep them from falling off their bicycles. HA!

Lastly, but most importantly is Chai. It's an Indian Spiced tea. 1/2 milk 1/2 chai concentrate. If it's too sweet, I have to turn it down. I love it hot, cold, iced, any way you offer it up to me. I've even started dabbling in Chai making at home, haven't been overly impressed by my batches, but in time I see it happening.

Sometimes being out of the ordinary when ordering beverages, doesn't always work out in my favor. Like the waitress that brought me a 1/2 a guinness 1/2 lemonade, when I ordered 1/2 Bass 1/2 Sprite. Yeah, not even close.

Maybe i'll just slip into a more mainstream approach to beverage consumption, like whiskey straight up or Pepsi, please. Nah.

13 comments:

  1. 1/2 diet and 1/2 regular is as risky as I ever got...but then again...I'm anti diet, anti aspartame and anti fake sweeteners of any kind so really...it is risky. I'm so wild!

    Oh, by the way...LOVE your personalized obama logo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen "Flipping Out" on Bravo--the main character shares your passion is specific drink combos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I love the Shandy story! That drinks sounds delicious and I will try to make that at home. I remember you ordering Arnold Palmer. I agree with you on those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arnold Palmers are great, and I LOVE chai. It's a bit of an addiction. I hate Starbucks chai unless it's a frappacino...their other just isn't good. The best chai is from this little neighborhood coffee shop a few blocks from my apartment, and the dutch apple chai from another local place around the corner.
    My other to die for drink is a Shirley Temple. Absolutely love it. My cousin and I simple adore grenadine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe that I've never had an Arnold Palmer? It sounds good; I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. non alcoholic 1/2 and 1/2 drinks certainly makes the beverage ordering more fun for us pregnant gals

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is also the Florentine! Love,K

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Shandys! I fell for them years ago in England (yes, as a kid), where you can get them in cans. LOL Yum yum and YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of coke with grenadine. Except I hate when the waiter gets condescending and says, "You mean a cherry coke?" because I HATE cherry coke "from the tap" or can. I order it the way I do so that it's clear what I want. I guess I'm "difficult" too. :-)

    While living in Germany, I also got hooked on 1/2 wheat beer and 1/2 coke. I can't remember what they called it for the life of me. I've never tried ordering it when out here, but have had success making it at home.

    An Arnold Palmer sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I spend my life asking for water, with NO ICE. Seems simple, right? They always always bring me the water chocked full of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must be the only person who gags at the thought of chai. Tea and milk should never meet, in my opinion. I'm looking into getting that legislation passed, I think.

    I don't like mixed drinks--just black and tans. And gin and tonics. And vodka with a side of crushed qualudes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Chai and Arnold Palmers they are huge here in the SE all year round.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shirley Temple anyone? I usually mix Diet Coke with Dr Pepper, cause then I can pretend I'm really drinking a Dr Pepper. Yeah I'm a dork.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!