Monday, October 6, 2008

The Stain Fighting Gene Must Be Recessive

A year ago the reality of my lifestyle temporarily vacated my mind when I was giddy during the purchase of a white slip covered chair for my living room. Yes, WHITE. My love for white furniture was born around eight years ago when I discovered all things Rachel Ashwell, Shabby Chic

For years our design style has been eclectic. Not necessarily by choice, but more grounded in pick up a piece of furniture here or there, with hopes that it all goes together. Most realistically speaking our first baby, a 100 pound black lab, forced me to suppress my growing desire for slip covered casual, hang out at my beach cottage, white furniture. Then the girls arrived and yet again, my dream furniture was put on the back burner. Right around when GL was a newborn, I couldn't pass this chair up. I wanted so desperately to have "grown up" furniture. I had hope that my home's aesthetic could mesh with life with small children. 

Up until a couple of months ago, my white chair purchase was not a complete and total disaster. About once a month, I would give the slip cover a good washing and feel content about my purchase. Proving to those nay sayers that white is possible with children. Heck my mantra was even reduced to, what better color to bleach? More recently, after giving the chair a fresh wash, little tiny dirty hands would creep in just shy of twenty four hours to grace the white chair with some sort of stain. Sigh. 

Fast forward to tonight. At around 6pm I discovered I do not have my mother's stain fighting genes. Damn it. I kid you not, rarely does a stain get past my mother. My three brother's grew up with the whitest socks on the baseball fields. Something brown, almost with the appearance of dried blood, has stained the cushion cover of my white chair. I can't quite place what the stain is, but let's just call it set in.

After scrubbing by hand and brush with the following in any and every combination, PreSpot (by the makers of Meleleuca), Spray N Wash with Resolve Power, Clorox Bleach Pen, Tide Free and Clear, Soft Scrub with Bleach, Joy dish soap, and good ol' Bleach. All of these products which I rarely use, sit stored in the back of my laundry room cabinets for when I need to fight stains with the big guns. Two cycles in my machine, the stain has been diminished, but to my heart pounding sadness it still exists. I can see it, it will fade some when it dries, but it stands out like a sore thumb to me. 

Realistic next step, box up my cushion cover and mail it to my mother in New York, so she can unleash her stain fighting magic on it. Seriously what more could I possibly do? Any stain interventionists out there, please enlighten me, for my genetics are failing me. 

17 comments:

  1. Sadly I missed that gene too :(
    I say send it to my mom--I'm betting she would enjoy the challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didi 7? It's awful stuff, and smells like chemical hell, but it seems to work on most things. I haven't used it in 10 years or so, but I imagine it's still out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had some wisdom, but generally stains get called to my mom or grandma for help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read something on parent hacks about using the sun (seriously) as a stain fighter on ParentHacks. I think you have to put something on it first (vinegar?) and then put it out in full sun. I'll look at ParentHacks and see if I can find it again....

    We have a cream-colored leather chair that was sadly vandalized by a one year old with a pen that Daddy left laying out. Sigh. The joys of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back again. Hack said to wash as usual and then put out in full sun for "sunbath." Here's the link:

    http://www.parenthacks.com/2008/06/baby-food-stain.html

    Found another for getting blueberry stains out that said to drench in vinegar and then pour boiling water over it.

    That's all I've got, but ParentHacks has a lot of great stain hacks. You might want to check it out. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say put it out in the sun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so the cover is outside, hopefully being almost 6,000 feet above sea level will work to my advantage, fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is this great stuff at Restoration Hardware called "Bleach Stick." I used it on Sharpie, permanent MARKER, and it miraculously came out! I kid you not. You wet the cover, apply some of the bleach stick, use a toothbrush and wash it in the washing machine. That stuff is AMAZING and I think they sell it for $6 or $8. We use it on all stains that are hard to get out! Good luck and let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suck at stains. Sorry.
    And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear by Goop. You can find it at King Soopers, in the automotive aisle.
    And if you try the Bleach Stick from Restoration Hardware, LMK how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have any advice... just sympathy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stains are evil. I am glad I am not the only one with this trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got nothing...That is why I have chocolate brown, leather furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't help at all. I'd probably try to replicate the stain so the chair looked polka-dotted (which would ruin the white shabby-chic asthetic). But good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have nothing helpful to add. But, I share your white furniture fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally missed the stain gene....i hate stains too! urg. good luck. hopefully your mama can work magic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am lacking the same gene. My mother has the advanced stain fighting gene. She knows the secrets for every mark. Apparently, it skips a generation!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!