Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday Tips: Mother Earth Must Be Cringing With Election 2008

Although I half heartedly attempted to gather some real facts for this post, I came up short. I'm sure they exist, so for this Tuesday Tips, we are getting an emotionally charged post. With "Being Green" being the overused buzz word of the year, my goodness wouldn't we all agree that the Presidential Campaign of 2008 threw the notion of Being Green out the window?

Here's a list of my gripes with the Election Waste:

Junk Mail, glossy color paper advertisements wasting valuable resources and paper. Even if they are recyclable they are terrible. Every day in the last month, I must receive no less than 5 politically charged mailers.

Jet-setting around the country. I know the environmental impact of flying on private jets is horrific, not even jumbo jets. I can't imagine the atmospheric destruction that was caused from McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden visiting a different state every single day. With their ticket typically in different parts of the country in a single day. Then all the press flying around to follow them and interview them. Gulp.

Let's just throw in the poor folks on the bus, touring around following them. I haven't met an eco-friendly non-gas guzzling Greyhound Bus, have you?

Plastic, cardboard, and metal yard signs. Sometimes being stolen, just to anger the owner to go out and get a few more signs to replace it. Where are all these damn signs going to go on November 5th?

Electricity drains for every aspect of the campaign. Television advertisements, computers running 24x7, campaign phone calling, production of the junk mail, schmancy $1,000 a plate dinners, rallies, speeches, town hall meetings, all energy drains. All the people getting in their cars to come out and see both candidates. Although sometimes it's 100,000 people and sometimes it's only 4,000. Ouch!

It goes on and on. If you have a good one, please don't hesitate to share it!

Let me share some background into why this post came into fruition. When I flew into NYC last week, I was stuck over Pennsylvania just looping in airspace for about 45 minutes. Want to know why, Obama and McCain were both in mid town Manhattan that night for that televised comedic dinner they had. The air space needed to be cleared. That's when I realized what a huge impact this Campaigning has on both sides, clearing airspace, the trickle down effect just from an aviation stand point for that one situation is just mind blowing!

My proposal, I've come up with a brilliant idea, demand a horse and buggy presidential campaign for all future elections. They can get into those hard to reach areas, stopping by small towns and unchartered territory making the entire country feel special. Not using a drop of gasoline or compromising the environment. Splendid, don't you think?

17 comments:

  1. I think that is an awesome idea....and let's say shorten the dang campaign season well we are at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are going to jump right on this horse and buggy idea : ). Really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, what an awesome idea! Thankfully we've not received any junk mail from either side (perhaps because I'm registered independent?) But we've gotten 4 of the SAME flier from a local campaigner. blech...

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is the point of those mailers? seriously do they think people actually read them, there isn't any information on them just negativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If nothing else, I'm looking forward to Nov. 4 as the day that I will stop throwing out the equivalent of an entire tree on a daily basis. Does anyone even OPEN those letters? I wish we could just check a box somewhere stating "decision made - no more dead trees necessary"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. I told the hubby last night that I would like for Evie Hudak or one of the other local candidates to come and take out my recycling that has more than doubled in the past few weeks due to the 5+ flyers I get each day. I'll be SOOO glad when it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a perfect solution!
    Or make the campaigning only one week long. Hasn't this been going on forever??????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! One more week to go, THANK GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't forget a row boat to get to hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make some good points.

    The difference in the long run will be if this country chooses the president who will really invest in clean and alternative energy.

    We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the candidates (or parties) should be responsible for recycling the information that they put out. Provide special rectylcing containers in all the areas they direct their propaganda to. Fair is fair. I know...I'm an optimist. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the new photo. It definitely shows the love for cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. anglophilefootballfanatic.comOctober 29, 2008 at 6:49 PM

    I'm with Lisa. Let's make it legal to campaign for only one month. No blanketing, no unsolicited calls, no papering. We are a country of wasters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What about all the fundraising that goes to advertising in any form? Couldn't all that money be used to make real, concrete differences in people's lives?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they should just get all Forest Gump on us and run around the nation...people can follow them...heck, we'd all get fit right? I mean isn't that what the campaign "trail" is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's not just the Presidential election: our local parks department is trying to get a new parks tax passed this year. In order to convince us to vote for this tax, they have sent a new mailer every day for the past WEEK. That is 6 days of mailers to every person living in our county. Because they want to raise more money for our local parks. They could have used the money from the mailers and postage and built several new parks, I'm fairly sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I HATE the junkmail for all of it. I throw it out. And I was getting SICK of all the calls from numbers I didn't know. (I don't answer them) I heard an idea somewhere that they should be limited to a certain amount of money for their campaigns. And that's it. I mean seriously, with all of our national debt, do they really need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on some signs that are going to litter and fill up junk heaps or on classless television ads?

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!