Friday, November 14, 2008

Didn't Know How Lost I Was Until I Found You

Let's time warp back to December 1984, what would we find? Definitely a cassette tape of Madonna's Like A Virgin inside my Sony Boombox. I don't recall owning the album, you know I was high tech, going cassette all the way. Black rubber bracelets and potentially some big hair, maybe when no one was looking a faux mole above my upper lip and some of my mother's red lipstick, singing into a wooden spoon in the mirror of my bedroom dressing table. My bedroom was adorned with one Madonna poster, it was black and white and she was complete with the hair, lace, Boy Toy belt buckle, all of it. All of 1984 summed up in one poster.

Madonna was the first musician I looked up to. No wait, the first musician I IDOLIZED. I practiced her choreography from Lucky Star and Holiday over and over again. Wanting to get the pop of my feet just right. Although Madonna is quite the dancer and no matter how many thousands of times I watched the video, I could never perfect it.

I'd never seen Madonna live. Growing up in Upstate NY, Madonna never took her tour north of THE City. I am a firm believer in, I don't think I have truly lived with out seeing Madonna live. What a huge part of my musical history. I love seeing live music, so when Madonna came through Denver on her Sweet and Sticky Tour, I jumped at the chance to see her.

Tuesday night I headed to the Pepsi Center (for the first time!) to see Madonna. Considering Ben Harper is my favorite musician, it won't come as a surprise when I say I have never, ever in all my life seen such a production. I think we counted 20 tractor trailers in the parking lot. Twenty! Madonna had 8 major costume changes during the show. The production was beyond my wildest imagination. Madonna had a crew of dancers, support bands including a group of string players, amazing projection screens, insane lighting, conveyer belts, and a little jump roping.

Through out the entire show, Madonna rocked the guitar in between her choreographed moves in heels (HIGH HEELS!). Her body is beyond what I could dream of at 30 something, no less at 50. She's hot. She's sassy. She played old and new songs. My brain didn't hesitate to recall the lyrics to Into The Groove, Borderline, Like A Prayer, many of which she rocked out with a guitar for a new rock version.

If Sweet and Sticky rolls through your town, don't walk, Run. Go see Madonna, you won't regret it. And in case you were wondering I didn't see any highlighted hair, buff New York Yankees. 

What was life like before You Tube?
Her Political Driven, Get Stupid:

and for fun Like a Virgin:


  1. that sounds so fun, glad you had a great time. I'm jealous.:)

  2. glad you had a great time, you shold chat with sandra who say her in NY

  3. Glad you had a great time! Sounds awesome :)

  4. How fun! I saw Cher about 5 years ago and it wasa fab production!
    Back in the day I didn't dress like Madonna - I was a Go-Go!

  5. I'm glad you had fun :)
    I was more a Duran Duran girl myself--always abut the boys ;)

  6. Gosh, I loved Madonna then and still love her now. So glad you got to go to the concert!!

  7. That sounds like so much fun! I've always loved Madonna and I've always admired her independence and individuality. She's an inspiration to women because she is still going strong at 50!

  8. Madonna's thighs are terrifying. I think she could break someone's neck with them.

    But what a fun concert! I remember the material girl from the 80s very well.

  9. OMG what a great post, brings back so many memories of the 80's for me and the Madonna Wanna-Be's that were all over, eye myself was not a Madonna WannaBe, but I love her, I obsessed over her dancing, singing, all of it...oh yeah and Billy Idol...LOL!

    Glad you got to see her, it was like the Mecca I took to see Duran Duran.

  10. My daughter went to the concert and said it was fantastic.

  11. My 5th grade self is so totally jealous. And I miss armfulls of jelly bracelets.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!