Saturday, November 15, 2008

He Chases Snow

When people ask me what my husband does for a living, I typically quip with "he chases snow". Sometimes that's enough for most people, maybe with a raised brow. But of course, there are always further inquiries. When my husband chases snow, it means he has to have skiers (aka talent), a camera man (or two), guides, helicopters, lots of fresh pristine snow, and just the right timing. Obviously that's the simplified watered down version, but it's true. My hubby has his hands in all aspects of the making the film from budget to post production. Hundreds of hours of film, turns into one feature length Warren Miller Ski Movie that tours the country right around now, every year.

Living in Colorado, everyone gets so excited when the snow starts hitting the mountains. We have a few resorts already open. But me, there's always a part of me, that feels sad when fall ends. I am sad because I know how busy chasing snow makes my husband. Even though it's been ten years, I still dread him being away. Off to Japan, off to Whistler, off to Austria, off to Utah. Off to chase snow. Another year, another movie to make.

Having just returned from our traditional Friends and Family Show in Boulder, the ski season has officially started. (Thanks to my friends that made the night complete!)

This year, it's Warren Miller's Children of Winter! Enjoy the trailer.

15 comments:

  1. Wow. What a fun job. For him.

    I can sympathize with the missing husband. However, November and December are the slowest months of the year for my husband. I so look forward to December because I know he will be home for dinner every night and maybe even work from home for a week or two at the end of the year. It's heavenly.

    I can't wait to check out the new movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolest job ever. But, I can see how it would wear on you and your family. You can talk to us, while he chases this year's snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing job!

    We're here to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are fun and exciting movies! I love the family photo of you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to all of you on another movie made. I love the Vermont segment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. His job sounds cool. It must definitely be hard having him away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard a commercial for the Warren Miller movie and thought of you, of course! It must be great taking the girls to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to be a crazy winter here too. We can get together, throw the kiddos in the basement, and have a dinner/movie night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG...can I say that your Husband has the coolest job ever! My Bro (big time editor) has always dreamed of editing a Warren Miller film. It's all he talks about.
    I am dying over the trailer...can't wait to go skiing this year. Bringing the ever present question "Why don't I live out there?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting, he has a neat job! (except for the part where it takes him away from you)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were so glad to be part of it! KDV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I've left you something on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love that job :)
    It's funny your husband's busy time is my husband's quieter time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband brought a promo copy of this movie home last weekend!! We love it!! Some of my favorite high school memories include lots of hootin' and hollerin' while watching these films on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!